Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

May 2, 2009, 06:26 AM
    Pinhole gas leak
    I have a small pin-hole size gas leak in one of my lines. It is at a coupling joint where two pipes are connected. It seems as though the doping sealant is just old and dried out. Is there any kind of putty or wrap I can use to seal this leak, or do I need to call a plumber to come out and fix the pipe?

I did have the gas company out and their guy put some kind of black grease/putty on the joint as a temporary fix. It did stop the leak, but I'm looking for something permanent.

Tightening the joint is not an option for me as there is an elbow at both ends and I don't want to get into a bigger hole.

Is this a DIY job or for the pros?

Thank you for your time.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 2, 2009, 06:48 AM
    Shut the gas off at the meter at once and call a plumber in who will do more then simply put a band-aid on the leak. If left along the gas could build up, touch off and blow you and your house away. This is dangerous stuff! Get it repaired at once. Good luck, Tom
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2009, 07:19 AM

Agreed, shut off your gas NOW, not in 10 minutes, this is seriously dangerous,
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 2, 2009, 11:02 AM

You should not apply any "putty" over the leak. Gas needs to be repaired correctly. Plumber will have to cut out section of pipe, remove leaking coupling and use Left-to-Right coupling and nipple to reconnect.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 11:59 AM

I agree with all above, gas leak is one of the most dangerous thing like every says shut off the gas and fix at once, good luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pinhole leaks in plastic hot water lines [ 9 Answers ]

I have a new house (2.5 yrs old). It has plastic water piping and a pump at the water heater to get hot water to the 2nd floor. A little over 1 yr in the house we had 3 pinhole leaks in the hot water line in 2 months. Now I have another one. What is likely causing this and how do you fix it? I...

Refrigerator freon line pinhole puncture on copper tube [ 2 Answers ]

Would an epoxy cement be a suitable repair material on the coper tubing or is the only solution to have it soldered if I wanted to repair the small hole leak?

Copper Pipe Pinhole Leak [ 2 Answers ]

I just broke open my slab in my bedroom to locate a leak. Well I found the leak it's in my copper piping. It is like a pin hole leak. What is the best way to patch this problem?

Toilet bowl - pinhole leak [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just changed a toilet bowl due to a pinhole leak - the water level drops overnight. I 've learnt my lesson so I installed the second toilet bowl in my garage on a flat surface, slowly added some water and... the water level still drops. Question: Is the toilet bowl S trap suppose to...

View more questions Search