Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michaeloa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 09:12 PM
    Wiring Ceiling Fan with no white wire in ceiling
    Hello all, I'm trying to install a ceiling fan in an old house (about 60+ years). I have a new ceiling fan with 4 wires, black, blue, white, and green. On the ceiling, there are only three wires, 2 copper wires (unfortunately no colors, just a dark covering over both), and a green wire, which has a G, for ground I assume

Problem is, there is no white wire up there. I assume the connection should be straight forward, blue to one of the copper wires, (not sure which one is for the light but I guess I'll have to test), black to other copper wire, ground, but then what do I connect the white wire from the ceiling fan to since there is none coming from the ceiling? Thanks in advance.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 10:46 PM

One of the wires is hot , the other is the neutral (white). Unfortunately you don't know which is which because the color has faded over time. Do you have any kind of tester or meter?

If not, connect the white of the fan/light to ground, connect the blue, which should be the light, to one of the wires. Turn the switch on. If the light burns, the wire you chose is the hot. Connect the black and blue to it and the white to the other, green to ground. If the light does not burn connect the blue to the other wire and test again.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 10:15 PM

Harold is right. I would just connect black and blue to one of the wires, white to the other, and leave it at that.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5-8 wire ceiling fan switch wiring diagram [ 5 Answers ]

I have to install a new 5-8 wire ceiling fan switch in a concord ceiling fan, for my uncle. He has removed the old switch and did not write down where each of the wires came from. I have the new correct switch but need to know where all of the wires go. He did write down the numbers they came...

What is the red wire for with the ceiling wiring? [ 14 Answers ]

I'm replacing an old light above my dinning room table. I know black goes to black and white goes to white. I'm not sure if I just cap the red wire or not. This light is on a dimmer. Please help!

Wiring a ceiling fan to 3 wire [ 2 Answers ]

How do I install

I have black red White wire in the ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I have black red and white wires in the ceiling and blue black white and green on the fan which do I hook up to which?

View more questions Search