Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mlcade1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 05:45 PM
    What Kind of Discharge?
    I have been in the Marines for a couple years now and decided that I need to get out if I ever wanted to see my husband and daughter again (long story, we haven't been together this whole time and they never station us together no matter how hard we push!) I have a legit medical condition that I brought up to my command so I can get out. I'm told that I will be kicked out for fraudulent enlistment and I will receive a other than honorable discharge. Everything I find on the net says I'll be getting a general under honorable conditions. Is this true what they're saying? If so, will I still pass a background check to be a lawyer in a couple years?

(Please, only answers from those who have been in or have a lot of knowledge in this subject - NO military wives! They never know what they're talking about! I just want the facts)
    mountaintopman Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2009, 07:49 PM
    In the Army we call your actions malingering.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 07:57 PM

Other than honorable is a type of discharge and it does not look well at all on your record.

What they are saying is you were aware of your medical condition and did not tell them when you enlisted ( my guess of what you are saying or not saying)

And the fact you could do basic training and do your job for a couple years shows also that this medical condition is not really huring your military performance.

And I guess you already have a college degree and at least one year of law school?? If you hve to bass the background to be an attorney.

The actual discharge should not be an issue, but the fraudulent enlistment can be a serious issue

Basically you needed to finish your tour of duty, and get out when your enlistment was up,
    Then you go back proud and the discharge is something to seriously help you.
    armyguy98c10 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2009, 02:40 PM

Any medical discharge is an honorable discharge. I have seen plenty of people get out with med conditions and they all got an honorable discharge.

By the way pay no attention to "mountaintopman ". He is expressing his opinion and not answering your question

If he is truly in the Army then he would know personnel opinions do not matter.
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 24, 2009, 02:52 PM
    My ex husband felt the same way after he came home from Iraq. He cited family reasons for wanting to be discharged from the Military. But they only allow that in some very certain cases, and it's almost impossible to get approved. I would hate to give you advice that would tell you to go against what is proper in order to get an honorable discharge. However, you CAN make an appointment with legal to discuss this. You are well within your rights to do so.

I have never been enlisted, but I ran our Family Readiness Group for the 3 years we were an enlisted family. I learned a LOT from legal. Be careful how you go about doing this, a lot of people would be happy to get you into trouble if they found out you were trying to get discharged. Keep this in mind when you ask questions, it would be easier if you knew anyone or had a friend who could recommend someone to talk to about this.

As for a medical discharge, your commanding officer is basically right. If this was a pre-existing condition they enlisted you with, and you didn't tell anyone until now that you have it. They can absolutely toss you out with a dishonorable. I hope you didn't tell your CO this was pre-existing, because he can testify to this fact now. There is hope though, go talk to legal, and if that person isn't helpful, talk to someone else.

Have you considered switching from active duty to being a weekend warrior?
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jul 24, 2009, 08:51 PM

It all depends on whether you knew about (or should have known) about it up front. If the medical condition developed while in service, you'll be getting an honorable. If you didn't report something pre-existing, you're up for a discharge you will not like.

Regardless, it sounds like the medical condition is not the motivation for wanting to get out. If that's the case, I can hardly blame your commander and NCOs for being skeptical.
    ambeybambie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 09:54 PM
    What is your pre-existing condition may I ask you? I'm in the navy and see a lot of people get out for random things like migraines. Just wondering

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Late period, mild cramping, white discharge, negative test, small dark discharge (1X) [ 8 Answers ]

No signs of pregnancy except for missed period... I think. I have a weird cycle; it moves all around the month. I only think it's late because I remember I had it during a big event. Took two tests Saturday and Monday. Chugged water before hand on the first. The second was late Saturday night...

Dishonorable discharge vs. Bad conduct discharge [ 6 Answers ]

I am currently waiting a court marial and right now if I plea out the offer is 33 months with a BCD. I could get a lower sentence if I take the DD, is it worth it? I still have to register as a sex offender when I get out. If anyone has any info or knows anyone with a similar case, it would gladly...

Clear stringy discharge over yellow discharge is that the mucus plug [ 13 Answers ]

Okay so when I go the bathroom and I wipe there is a yellow discharge and a clear stringy discharge over it. What does a mucus plug look like? There is no red or pink discharge with it. PS I am 36 weeks pregnant and baby has dropped.

What kind of Ivy is this? [ 5 Answers ]

I am having some problems with my ivy plant, but I'm not sure what kind of ivy it is, or if it is even truly ivy at all. Can anyone identify it for me? Also the problem is that it is getting white/tan translucent spots with dark brown edges as well as some leaves have edges that are turning dark...

View more questions Search