Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billdelaney Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 07:46 AM
    MTD tractor won't start - 12hp briggs & stratton
    The tractor won't turn over. Battery is charged, and I've even tried jumping the battery. The only audible symptom is a chattering relay or solenoid when I turn the key. I am wondering how to troubleshoot the starter/alternator. The engine turns freely by hand, not seized. Any help with an explanation of the chattering sound would be helpful.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 07:25 PM

Solenoid makes one click if its good and no clicks if its bad. Relays can chatter and if you are 101% sure your battery is putting out 13 volts then shop for a relay.
    billdelaney Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 09:45 PM
    Yep, you're right. The battery measures fully charged, and my charger indicated it's charged, but when it tries to crank, the voltage drops very low. Maybe some serious internal short? Anyway, I applied 12v. From a jumper battery to the starter, and it took right off, and would run fine thereafter on the alternator output. Wouldn't charge, so it's dead again. Will replace the battery in AM, and check the charging circuit, too.
    Thanks for the steer.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 11:08 PM

The ESR (Effective Series Resistance) of the battery increases and thus there is too much of a voltage drop in the battery and it cannot deliver the proper current.

Jumping a bad battery doesn't always work. In a car case, I once or twice had to remove a battery cable and jump the vehicle and then re-connect the battery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton engine on a lawn tractor will not start [ 8 Answers ]

I recently got a used Craftsman lawn tractor with 15.5 HP turbo OHV Briggs & Stratton engine. It does not start - it cranks, engine turns (when I take out the spark plug, I can feel puffs of air coming out), but the engine does not catch on. I have put in a new battery, cleaned air filter, put in...

Lawn Tractor will not start, Briggs&Stratton 18.5hp engine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 and 1/2 year old Craftsman Lawn Tractor with 18.5 Briggs & Stratton Engine (31P777-0348-E1). I has been serviced each year prior to use. Have been using all season with no visible problems. After starting the engine and ridng for about 2 minutes, the engine stopped. There is no noise...

Briggs & Stratton 12hp No Spark [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1990's B & S 12hp I/C QUIET MOWER ENGINE MDL286707 type 0420-01. The Brand of chassis is unknown (two) questions please (1) the motor produces no spark. I have cleaned the flywheel magnet & coil core. The Coil and spark lead show continuity. Assume the single black lead from the...

17hp briggs & stratton bolens lawn tractor will not start? [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased a Bolens lawn tractor w/ a 17 hp briggs and stratton. It does not have spark. Have put in a new plug with no results. Need suggestions what to try next. Thanks!

CRAFTSMAN Briggs & Stratton 19HP 46" Lawn Tractor Won't Start unless. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi - My CRAFTSMAN Briggs & Stratton 19HP 46" Lawn Tractor Won't Start unless I put some gas directly in the carb. I've changed the spark plugs, put new gas in the tank and replaced the small fuel filter. I'm encouraged that it finally started, but it won't start without adding the gas...

View more questions Search