Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lorialester Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 10:49 PM
    HIPPA violation
    Is it a HIPPA violation for a hospital employee to tell a family member or friend where a patient went if they were transferred to another hospital?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 05:18 AM

No it isn't a HIPPA violation. The employee is only directing not divulging medical information.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 05:19 AM
    It is not a HIPAA violation unless the patient was on a No Publication status.
    tryfunctional Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 05:29 AM

I beg to differ. I think it IS a violation. From past experience, if I was trying to locate anyone in a hospital I got NO information unless I was on a "patient approved" list. If I didn't know the room number then so sorry so sad. As far as being transferred? If it were me that was transferred and the word got out I would NOT be a happy camper.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2009, 05:51 AM

HIPAA prevents the release of medical treatment and diagnosis information to unauthorized parties.

Its an iffy point whether a transfer to another facility constitutes treatment or diagnosis information. So it would be better to err on the side of caution to not reveal this information unless there is authorization from the patient.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

HIPPA violation? [ 7 Answers ]

I was recently transported via ambulance from my place of employment to the emergency room. Before the ambulance arrived, the office supervisors were available to me to inquire if I needed anything, which at that time I did not. The supervisor in question of violation stated, "you know there're...

IS this a Hippa violation? [ 4 Answers ]

In my office we have mental health professionals who have a bachelor's degree or above. My boss is thinking about letting our office manager read our plans, reviews, and notes for "typographical errors and accuracy." I believe that this is a violation of HIPPA as A. she does not have a degree in...

Is this a HIPPA violation? [ 4 Answers ]

I worked at a hospital as director of a department. To be able to download and access particular records in the department my password was used. Tow employees used the password and when I asked the IT department to allow me to change my password they refused since the program we were using to...

View more questions Search