Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hgd7833 Posts: 84, Reputation: 0

Apr 25, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Am I qualified for the $ 400.00 rebate teaxes this year
    I heard that there will be a $ 400.00 tax rebate for individuals and $ 800.00 for couples.
    I applied my taxes as nonresident alien with a jiont application as married. I have one American daughter and another non American one. I came here as f1 vusa. I have a social security number and working as TA in a university. My wife is not working and is at home. She had a tax ID number but not a social security number.
    I am qualified for the 400, or 800 or neither? Thanks
    Sunlight1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 12:04 AM
    I assume you are referring to the federal " Making Work Pay Tax Credit which reduces your withholding if you're an employee, giving you more money on your paychecks. You have to have a valid social security number and if an employee, have withholding taken out of your paycheck or be self employed. Non resident aliens do not qualify for the credit. (see Making Work Pay Questions and Answers: Form W-4) It appears neither of you qualify for the credit, sorry. Employers were to adjust employees withholding for this credit by April 1, 2009 whether you were qualified for the credit or not. Therefore you may need to see your employer about adjusting your withholding on Form W-4, so you don't end up owing IRS next year due to lack of enough withholding.
    You can call IRS at 1-800-829-1040 7AM-10PM or go to Internal Revenue Service and Google "work" in their search engine on the top right of their web page.
    Good luck!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 12:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hgd7833 View Post
    I heard that there will be a $ 400.00 tax rebate for individuals and $ 800.00 for couples.
    I applied my taxes as nonresident alien with a jiont application as married. I have one American daughter and another non American one. I came here as f1 vusa. I have a social security number and working as TA in a university. My wife is not working and is at home. She had a tax ID number but not a social security number.
    I am qualified for the 400, or 800 or neither ?? Thanks
    On F1 you are exempt from residency for 5 years. You must file non-resident tax return Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843.

You will get deduction based on tax treaty between the U.S. and your country. To other tax rebate/credit is available.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    hgd7833 Posts: 84, Reputation: 0

Apr 26, 2009, 08:26 AM

Thanks Sunlight1 for your answer, but I just don't get what you mean by saying : " you may need to see your employer about adjusting your withholding on Form W-4 "
    I don't get that , what shall I tell them now exactly ? Adjusting my withholding to what? What is the status that I must hold in order to get the rebate ?

To MukatA thanks you too for your feed back, but I just don't know what do you mean by saying : " To other tax rebate/credit is available. "
    Sunlight1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 10:00 PM
    Good question! Generally speaking, when you first start a job your employer asks you to complete a form W-4 "Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate". This is a worksheet you complete which tells your employer how much money he/she should withhold from your paycheck for your federal taxes. AKA "federal withholding". Your payroll office or employer should be able to give you some help completing this form. In addition to completing this when you first begin a new job, you would also need to update it when you get i.e.. Married, divorced or have children, because this will allow your employer to withhold the correct amount of federal taxes each week from your paycheck.
    See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf?portlet=3

Note: If your are exempt from federal withholding due to a tax treaty and completed Form 8233 "Exemption from Withholding for non-resident aliens" you should not have to adjust your Form W-4 because no federal taxes are being withheld. Check your paycheck to see if federal withholding has been taken out of your gross pay. If it has then it would appear you didn't claim the exempt status with Form 8233. Check with your personnel office to see if you completed Form W-4 and complete a new form W-4 if necessary. See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8233.pdf

This is not to be considered an official tax law statement. For official information contact IRS directly at 1-800-829-1040 or write Where to File Tax Returns - Addresses for Individual Taxpayers By State, U.S. Possession or Foreign Country.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First year choice for Stimulus Rebate [ 5 Answers ]

Dear Tax Experts, I was on F1 till 1-Oct -2008 then on H1B until 31 dec - 2008. Can you please help answer 2 questions regarding my tax filing - 1. Confirm that I can use first year choice in 2009 by taking extension using 4868(Note -I will be outside US for One month- may 2009) 2.I want...

What's the best way to become a qualified accountant? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a degree in Economics, but I want a career in accountancy. I reside in the UK, London. Are there any hardened accountants out there who can advise me on the best course of action, please. In terms of whether I should invest in an online degree, or do a short course in, well, something?...

Tax and rebate when moved to US in later half of the year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, I moved to US from my home country in later half of the year 2008 under H-1B alone (with my family back in my home country). My questions are: 1. Since I was single in US (though I have wife and kids back home), I think I should file as a single. Am I correct? 2. Do I qualify for...

A Qualified Residence [ 7 Answers ]

For the purpose of computing the deductin for a qualified residience interest. Could my principal residence and one other residence owned by me or by my wife, be considered as a qualified residence or not?

View more questions Search