Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinkbumble Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 11:34 AM
    Computer looping
    I am having trouble. We did a complete reinstall on Windows 2000 Professional. It starts the window 2000 set up, but at a certain point,starts allover again loading windows 2000. Ive tried taking the disk out, but it just keeps asking me where to boot from. Here is some of the messages I've gotten at different times:

Pri Slave Drive-ATAPI Incompatible - Press F1(this happens with every reload)
    Couldn't open Boot Partition
    Boot failure-Reboot & select proper boot device

I would appreciate any help!

Thank you
    Gayle:o
    FlyingNeonBears Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 02:58 PM

Sounds to me like you need a new hard drive. I would suggest using a new install CD first, if that doesn't work then I would definantly try the new Hard drive.

Good luck

Apr 25, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingNeonBears View Post
    Sounds to me like you need a new hard drive. I would suggest using a new install CD first, if that doesnt work then I would definantly try the new Hard drive.

Good luck
    I did install a new one. Got it off Ebay. It was doing this before the new hard drive was install and that's why I got it. Can you think of anything else it might be?

Thank You!! :o

Apr 26, 2009, 08:55 AM

Have you done a virus scan? Another thing you can try is go into BIOS (press F2 at startup) and see if something is set up weird there.

Was there anything major that happened to the computer just before this started happening?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 10:03 AM

Since you did a reinstall of Windows, I seriously doubt that you have a virus. You eliminated the possibility of a hard drive problem by replacing the hard drive. The new hard drive is probably OK.

I'm going to suggest that you have a motherboard problem. There's a slight possibility that it's a memory problem, but I'll go with the motherboard.

Apr 28, 2009, 04:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    Since you did a reinstall of Windows, I seriously doubt that you have a virus. You eliminated the possibility of a hard drive problem by replacing the hard drive. The new hard drive is probably ok.

I'm going to suggest that you have a motherboard problem. There's a slight possibility that it's a memory problem, but I'll go with the motherboard.

The computer was originally homemade. It is over 13 years old. I don't know the name of the mother board . I wouldn't even know where to start to buy a new mother board. Would it be cheaper to just buy another desk top computer?

:)
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2009, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkbumble View Post
    The computer was orginally homemade. It is over 13 years old. I dont know the name of the mother board . I wouldn't even know where to start to buy a new mother board. Would it be cheaper to just buy another desk top computer?
    Whether you replace the MoBo or try to fix it yourself is really up to you. Computers can always be fixed, but it can be a real pain and it can cost a lot. 13 years is a long time -- especially in computer years. If it were my computer, I'd seriously consider junking it.

May 17, 2009, 04:09 PM

After some long research its probably a bad bios... I would also consider junking it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I reboot my computer when it keeps looping and won't let me access the drives? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I reboot my computer when it keeps looping and won't let me access the drives?

View more questions Search