Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    koobiidoobii Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 11:21 AM
    Hunter 5 Wire Thermostat
    Please help... I installed a Hunter Thermostat last winter and heat works fine. Now the AC is not coming on. I think it is the way the thermostat was installed. I threw away the manual and can't figure out the wire connectors. Currently, this is how I have it connected.

Green wire to G
    Blue wire to RC
    Red wire to RH
    White wire to WB
    Yellow wire to Y1
    YO is not being used.

Heat works but AC is not coming on. If someone knows what I am missing, I would greatly appreciate.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 11:22 AM

OK not sure why blue is on rc?
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 11:23 AM
    Does your ac work off your furnace or separate?
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 11:25 AM

Was the blue on rc before or just on c?
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 11:28 AM

I would say move blue off rc, and push it back in the wall. And put a jumper from rh to rc

Apr 25, 2009, 02:27 PM
    JoshDTA... thanks for answering my questions. After seeing so many people complaining about the Hunter, I just took it back to Lowe's and BOUGHT a Honeywell RTH6300B. Just installed it but it is not running. Nothing is running. I am going to spend a little time trying to find out what is wrong.

Honeywell said to use only 5 wires which I do have five wires. Now, the problem is, when I took them off the old White-Rodgers, I forgot to mark which wire is which.

The Honeywell has G, WO/B, Y, R, Rc. I put green wire on G, White wire on W, Yellow wire on Y, Red on R. I do have a blue wire that I put on Rc to check but nothing happen as well as not connecting and put jumper between R and Rc. Still nothing happened. No heat, No AC.

I have a house that has 2 ac and 2 furnace for upstair and downstair. This problem is with the upstair. I think it is a force air furnace with the 2 Fan outside. House is 3 years old. Any idea?
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 03:13 PM

OK lets see. Did you turn the power off the unit before wiring?
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 03:15 PM
    If not, and also if you had blue on rc you may have blown the small fuse at the control board. This is a small car type fuse and is in the control board. The control board should be located in the bottom door of your furnace. With the blower. I just got in from outside, need to get a shower I will be back in 15 minutes to help you.

Apr 25, 2009, 03:19 PM
    No... did not turn off power.. figuring it was easy as I won't touch anything. I will go to attic and check on furnace to see where and it fuse is blown. Thanks.

Apr 25, 2009, 03:35 PM

Ok... just checked the furnace. The LED lites did not blink like the other furnace. Not sure where the fuse is... I can see the control board but nothing resemble a car fuse.
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 03:41 PM

If there is no car fuse, you may have blown the transormer. The fuse should be pluged directly to the board or it is in line on a wire feeding the board. Not all units have this.

Apr 25, 2009, 03:41 PM
    I am hoping that this control board is not expensive if I have to replace the whole board. Just curious though, heat was working earlier before I replaced the thermostat. AC was not but heat works fine until I replaced the thermostat. Did I blown out the control board?

Apr 25, 2009, 03:43 PM
    I am looking at the diagram of my furnace. There is a control transformer also on the control board. Is that it?
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 03:45 PM

It could be. If it is not separate. Do you have a volt meter?

Apr 25, 2009, 03:46 PM
    My apology to you... I just found the fuse! It is blown. I will go and have it replace and hope that that is all it is. Thanks so much!
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 03:49 PM

Before you change it.
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Make sure you have the rh rc jumpered and the blue taped off and not used
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Hope that is all it is.

Apr 25, 2009, 06:12 PM

Replaced the broken fuse and I now have cold AC... thanks again so much JoshDTA. You saved me some money. I do really appreciated your help.
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 06:21 PM

Great glad I could help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire a thermostat, replacing Maple Chase with Hunter? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Maple Chase 09520 thermostat that I am replacing with a Hunter Just Right thermostat. There are 7 wires for the Maple Chase and only 5 for the Hunter. Which do I use? And what do I do with the extras? This is how it is wired in the Maple Chase: Blue-->C Red-->R Yellow-->Y White-->E...

It's cold! Need to wire Hunter 44360 programmable thermostat! [ 2 Answers ]

Argh! :eek:My husband installed a new Hunter 44360 5/2 programmable thermostat and it worked for the A/C however it is time to run the heater and it doesnt work.:confused: I dont know how it was set up before and he can't remember. Here is our current set up. Please help!! its getting rather...

Thermostat wiring for a hunter programmable from a 4-wire Honeywell [ 3 Answers ]

I have never done this and want to know how to connect the colered wires from my old Honeywell to the Hunter. I have Red, White, Green, Blue. Their connections are G, RC, Rh, y/o, w/b, y1. What goes where? Thank you

Thermostat wiring hunter 4 wire [ 3 Answers ]

I need help wiring a 4 wire system red green blue and white. I am trying to wire a hunter thermostat and have a forced gas furnace/ac unit. I put red to rh with a jumper from rh to rc and green to g and white to w and blue to Y1. It will not work. Please help any info would be appreciated. It...

View more questions Search