Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    evaneric2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2004, 11:15 PM
    WIN 2000 Upgrade
    Hi,

Recently upgraded my desktop from WIN 98 to WIN 2000. Now, whenever I boot up, my desktop will appear, but there are no icons, taskbar or anything on the screen. My boot up disc that originally came with my computer has the WIN 98 OS on it and now I think the WIN 2000 will not let me format my hard drive with my boot up disc to let me start over again. What's going on?

evaneric2
    Gkhster Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2004, 03:26 PM
    Re: WIN 2000 Upgrade
    This is something to try:

(YOU MAY WANT TO PRINT or WRITE THIS MESSAGE OUT BEFORE DOING THIS PROCEDURE!)

Once the booting process is done, type the

CTRL+ALT+DEL keys at the same time. (The old three finger salute!)

This should bring you to a menu that has six buttons:
    Lock Computer, Log Off, Shut Down
    Change Password, Task Manager, Cancel

Select TASK MANAGER

Now a box should pop up. Select the Applications tab at the top.

Now click the NEW TASK button on the bottom right.

Type in "explorer" without the quotes. Now click the OK button.

This MAY bring up a desktop, or possibly a "my computer" window. From there we may be able to help you. (And you may have a TEMPORARY fix to use your computer)

I will be watching this thread to see how it turns out. Please provide as much information as you can, as the missing clue is buried in there somewhere.

Now, about the boot disk. If you formated your boot partition as NTFS, then you are correct, the 98 boot disk isn't going to allow you to do much.

Hmm, come to think of it, I have never run FDISK from a FAT32 boot disk on an NTFS partition to delete it. If all else fails perhaps we can explore this. Perhaps another group member might have experience here.

But let us not give up so fast!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Guy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upgrade to xp [ 3 Answers ]

Quick question.If I do and upgrade of windows me with windows home edition will I keep the data I have on that drive.Thanks in advance.

Upgrade [ 1 Answers ]

What should I buy to make my honda civic go fast but not spending too much ?

Upgrade 8.6 to 9 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Power PC, Power Macintosh 9600/233 it is running OS 8.6. I would like to install either OS 9 or X. I have both CDs bun niether work >:(. How can I install them? Thank you :)

Xp upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

Would it be feasible to upgrade a 98SE, Compaq,amdk6,256ram,10g h.d. to xphome? It is only used to store word docs and access internet

MB CPU upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Thinking of upgrading Mboard and cpu in current PC. Can I keep HD's intact or do they need to be reformatted and reloaded with programs and files? THanks Stu

View more questions Search