Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    limweiwen11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 08:59 PM
    Accounting entries for interim billing from financial advisor
    Hi,

I am an accounts assistant and would like to ask if anybody would know how to record the following transaction.

For professional services to be rendered by a financial advisor. The terms of agreement are that fees will be fixed at $160,000 plus out of pocket expenses and applicable taxes. They will bill a sum of $80,000 on submission of the draft information memorandum and a further $80,000 on submission of the final information memorandum.

Assume that my company's financial year end is 31 March 2009 and I have received a billin in February for the first $80,000. The entries I thought of were to:-

Dr Prepayments / Deferred Expenses
    Cr Other liabilities
    (Being recognition of billing from advisor for services not provided yet)

How should I recognise the first $80k, my thinking is that it should not be to prepayments as no cash has been paid out as yet, and services have not been provided so I should not be expensing the amount?

Any suggestions? What about treatment for the second $80k which falls outside my Company's financial year. Please remember that no services have been provided as yet?
    So accruing for it may not be accurate.

I hope someone will be able to enlighten me. Thanks guys
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 01:43 AM

I think that what you are describing
    Are in Accountancy called CONTINGENT LIABILITIES.
    You are quite right, they should NOT be
    Included physically in the accounts.
    There is a requirement, however, that they be shown as such in the NOTES TO THE ACCOUNTS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Financial Accounting - Adjusting Entries [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with this financial accounting homework? I have been working on this homework for a week. I want to get it right prior to submitting it to the professor. Thanks. Melinda GUNFLINTADVENTURES Adjusted Trial Balance June 30 Debit Credit Prepaid airport rent $7,200 ...

Accounting entries [ 3 Answers ]

Dear all I would be grateful if you could help me by teaching what are the account to be posted for these transactions. My brother and I (sharing equally) buy house for 39750 USD which needs to be paid in 3 intallments. We have to pay 17250/- 11250/- 11250/- as 1, 2 and 3rd instalments...

Financial accounting [ 1 Answers ]

The inventory method that considers the inventory to be composed of the units of merchandise acquried earliest is called : a) first in - first out b) last in- first out c) average cost d) retail method

View more questions Search