Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rachelrae Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2009, 02:04 PM
    I want to beat this charge
    Okay I got arrested for burgulary in 08... my friends ran up in this house with a gun and tried to rob the people. I was sitting outside in the car clueless as to what was going on because they didn't tell me anything at all... I got arrested in the driver seat even though I didn't drive the car away from the scene... the judge and the da are offering me probation for 5 years but I don't want to be on probation I think me and my lawyer should take this to trial they have no hard evidence to convict me what should I do:confused:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 02:11 PM

In for a penny, in for a pound is an old saying. You were there in the car. You can profess your innocence all you want but apparently no one is buying it. Sorry. I don't see you skating away into the sunset innocent on this one.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Apr 22, 2009, 02:18 PM

Perhaps you should take this a serious life lesson to get better friends. People identify you by the company you keep and you obviously chose to be in lousy company. Sorry Charlie.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 02:18 PM

What is your proof that you didn't know about the robbery or the gun?

You just aimlessly drive your friends around? No clue to what they are doing?

You are expecting a jury to buy that story and I don't think they would. You are taking a huge risk and I imagine your attorney is advising against it.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 02:26 PM

Ignorance of the law is not a legal defense and ignorance of what your friends were doing is not a legal defense either.

When my BF was 17 he was in the same boat,wrong place wrong time,he didn't know they were robbing a store.He did a year because he had a clean record and there was no weapon involved.

I think you would be wise to take the probation,it seems like a decent deal considering the seriousness of the crime.

Your lawyer may suggest trial just to suck more cash out of you so look at what the statues are in your state for your offense.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 03:13 PM

I hate to burst your bubble, Rachel, but they DO have hard evidence against you. You were there sitting in the car! Think about it. They have you red handed on this one.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 04:01 PM

You are either paying an Attorney or one has been assigned to you - follow his/her advice.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Apr 22, 2009, 06:12 PM
    I also made the mistake of hanging around with the wrong crowd when I was young and it got me into some trouble, but lucky for me I was never charged with anything. Not sure how old you are, hope you are under 18 and you can use this as a learning experience to get better friends and hopefully you won't end up with a criminal record.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 06:51 PM

Of course they have evidence you were still, ( it sounds) that you were still sitting outside the house in the "get away car" The driver is part of the crime,

Talk to your attorney, sounds like they have plenty of evidence to me anyway.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 06:56 PM

Hello r:

If your only defense is that you didn't know what was going on, they'll convict you, because, they don't have to prove that you did know. You WERE driving the get away car, after all. Proof of that, is the fact that if they hadn't gotten busted, you WOULD have driven them away. That, and the fact that most people don't sit in the car when they've taken their friends anywhere, is enough to get you convicted.

Take the plea.

excon
    RainyDZ Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Apr 23, 2009, 11:15 AM

Get re-acquainted with more decent friends.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I beat her up? [ 10 Answers ]

I have been dating this boy for a little over a year now and unfortunally found out that he had been cheating on me what should I do? Should I beat up the girl he cheated on me with? :mad:

I know better, and you guys are going to want to beat me up. [ 19 Answers ]

After close to three months of NC, I break it on her birthday (October 16th) to call her and say happy birthday. I get her voicemail and leave a message saying that I hope she has a good birthday. I have a friend, and she called her number for me today, and it said that the number is out of...

Dead beat dad [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old daughter who have a dead beat dad. I have been a single mom for 6 years and her father doesn't do anything for her. I take care of her by myself with no help from him. He then had the nerves to have another baby who he jumps for every time her mom says she need some. I have...

Not dead beat dad, beat dead dad. [ 9 Answers ]

Ive been court for five yrs every six months. I have no education and work at just above minimum wages. I have deleted my parents savings in court. I have part time visitation since the divorce five yrs ago. My x files petitions against me every time I get behind one payment. I have paid her lawyer...

Got beat up, not doing so well emotionally. [ 5 Answers ]

About a little more than a month ago I was jumped by three guys at school and I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with it, I broke my jaw and received a consussion during the fight, the guys were arrested and we are going to sue and all that but it still odesnt help. I know they will get in some...

View more questions Search