Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammixmaster Posts: 282, Reputation: 15

Apr 21, 2009, 11:04 AM
    Trimming my dogs hair
    I have a mini poodle. We've had him for a little over 9 years now. Needless to say, his hair grows to be thick and during the Spring and Summer months, he gets very hot. I've only taken him to a professional groomer once because I went to Wal-Mart and bought a dog grooming kit. The problem is, his fur seems to be way too thick for me to cut. I've heard it's better to cut a dogs hair when they are wet. Is this true? Should I cut him while he's wet or dry?

*NOTE: I'm not taking him to a groomer so please don't say that*.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 11:11 AM

I always cut my dogs dry, otherwise the clipper pulls too much.

The problem with the store bought grooming kits is that they're designed to work on shorter hair and small dogs.

The trimmer heats up because it's working too hard and it takes forever and can pull and hurt your dog.

Why are you against a professional groomer?

Apr 21, 2009, 11:13 AM

It's not that I'm against it, it's just I don't want to pay for something that I've been doing myself successfully for the past several years. That's all. So you're saying do it when it's dry huh? OK. That's what I'll do. Thank you.
    Pets Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammixmaster View Post
    It's not that I'm against it, it's just I don't want to pay for something that I've been doing myself successfully for the past several years. That's all. So you're saying do it when it's dry huh? OK. That's what I'll do. Thank you.
    No problem. Good luck. We'd love pictures! :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 06:53 PM
    I know this question has already been answered and Alty is 100% correct I'm just adding some general grooming info :)

Cheap hair clippers are really not much good, we have several pairs of clippers (Oster brand) and send the blades away to be sharpened after every 4-5 uses. They are a lot faster than cheap clippers and they just wizz through the hair! The clippers and blades we use are expensive (upwards of $300 for a set) but when you think about how much you would pay for professional groomers in a dogs lifetime it works out cheaper.

Always clip your dog when it is clean as the clippers go through to coat a lot easier. I know it's a pain washing and drying your dog when it's coat has grown long but it is necessary, not only is it better for your clippers and doesn't dull the blades as quickly, it gives a smoother finish to the coat and you don't end up with tufts.

I've never heard of anyone clipping their dog wet :confused:

Anyway, that's just a bit of info from me :)

Apr 22, 2009, 09:21 AM

Thanks for that Shazamataz. Our clippers are about two years old and basically do not work anymore. So I'm probably going to end up going to a pro anyway. UGH. More money out of my pocket. Oh well, I love my poodle so its worth it. :)
    Pets Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammixmaster View Post
    Thanks for that Shazamataz. Our clippers are about two years old and basically do not work anymore. So I'm probably going to end up going to a pro anyway. UGH. More money out of my pocket. Oh well, I love my poodle so its worth it. :)
    I always loved it when my poodle came back from the groomers, he always smelled so nice, looked so cute, and his fur was so soft. Some things you just can't do at home. ;)

The one thing I hated. The groomers always put bows in his ears. He was a boy! :(

We'd still love pictures. :)

Apr 22, 2009, 09:31 AM

Sure. I have one of a "trimming job" that I did on him. I don't know if it looks "professional" as I haven't had him professionally groomed in years

katelands Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 09:31 AM
    For the price of one professional grooming you can buy professional-level clippers, and that really does make it easier. My standard poodle takes me several hours to clip but I think it's worth it to save the money and, even more than that, not to have her stressed out by having to go to the groomer's. She always hates it, no matter which one I bring her to. It's noisy; the dogs usually has to be in a cage for a long time, often without enough water; and some places even use cage dryers, which is super stressful and not safe for the dog (they're trying to make them illegal here in NY). So anyway, I'd rather not put her through that. She may not look as perfect when I do it, since I'm still getting the hang of it, but she's a lot happier!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 12:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by katelands View Post
    For the price of one professional grooming you can buy professional-level clippers, and that really does make it easier. My standard poodle takes me several hours to clip but I think it's worth it to save the money and, even more than that, not to have her stressed out by having to go to the groomer's. She always hates it, no matter which one I bring her to. It's noisy; the dogs usually has to be in a cage for a long time, often without enough water; and some places even use cage dryers, which is super stressful and not safe for the dog (they're trying to make them illegal here in NY). So anyway, I'd rather not put her through that. She may not look as perfect when I do it, since I'm still getting the hang of it, but she's a lot happier!
    Sounds like you have had some bad experiences with groomers! :(

My mum is a professional groomer and the dogs she does are allowed to run free in the room. She never overbooks so dogs are never left in crates.
    It pays to shop around with groomers :)

Jammixmaster - Your puppy is gorgeous :) You have done a very good job!
    katelands Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Sounds like you have had some bad experiences with groomers! :(

My mum is a professional groomer and the dogs she does are allowed to run free in the room. She never overbooks so dogs are never left in crates.
    It pays to shop around with groomers :)

Jammixmaster - Your puppy is gorgeous :) You have done a very good job!
    Sounds good--if she were in New York I'd bring my dog to her!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dogs ripping hair out [ 1 Answers ]

So about 3.5 weeks ago my Mom moved to Alabama from NY. When I was living with her she got 2 Bichon's and our one Bichon had a nervous condition, he'd rip his back hair out and chew constantly. But that was when her boyfriend showed up. When he was gone, Harpo (our dog) was fine. Right before she...

Trimming Short Curly Hair [ 1 Answers ]

I wear my hair pretty short and its very thick and curly. My husband has been trimming it for the past couple of months due to a sudden and unexpected drop in salary. In other words I'm broke! :) What I like is sort of a "pixie" look. I like it over the ears and close to the head at the back...

Trimming Stairs [ 1 Answers ]

Everything I read on trimming a stair case (in oak) they all install the riser first, then the tread. The only reason I can think of for doing this is if you ever need to replace the tread. Is there any other reason? I ask this because out basement stringers were framed with 9" run and 7 1/2"...

Trimming long hair [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone give me instruction to cut long hair (mid-back) with bangs into a layered style with wispy ends?:confused:

View more questions Search