Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acdcman1020 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 11:00 PM
    Simple possession charges in TN
    I am 19 years old and my two buddys and I got pulled over for doing 8mph over and the cop smelled pot the driver had a dime on him and his bowl was in the glove box but I was riding shotgun so it was right in front of me. I didn't lie to the cop I was honest with him and I asked him about it after he gave me my ticket and he told me he'd talk to the d.a. about it but I think he's going to try to screw me over. All I had on me was a dime and my other friend in the back seat had his on him. There were 2 bowls in the car the guy in the back seat had his on him and my friends in the glove box but we all got simple possession and unlawful drug paraphernalia but I didn't have a bowl on me. We have court on the 27th of this month.

What should I plead cause I admit to the simple possession just not the bowl? What do you think we'll get? I'm freaking out :eek: the closer it gets I just want to know what's going to go down you know? Thanks for the help.

AcDcman1020
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 07:29 AM

Hello Ac:

Of course the cop lied. That's what they do.. However, the search might have been illegal, therefore you might not be guilty of anything... Get a lawyer.

excon

Apr 20, 2009, 09:37 AM
    I don't have the money for a lawyer much less the court fees and fine.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 09:46 AM

Then ask for assigned counsel.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 10:00 AM

Hello a:

Dude! Fines and court costs are the LEAST of your problems.

Given that a marijuana conviction could cost you bundles of money in the future (and I mean BUNDLES), it's a really good idea to make sure that you are NOT convicted.

Just ONE example of the many problems you could suffer from, would be that people convicted of marijuana crimes aren't eligible for student loans.

Find a lawyer, and tell him that you'll make payments!!

excon

Apr 22, 2009, 08:59 PM
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to file for a court appointed lawyer tomorrow and hopefully it'll be free my friend filed for one and its going to cost him 500 bucks more just to have one.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 09:02 PM
    TN is cracking down on drug offenses now. If you have what is considered enough with intent to sell, they turn you into the IRS for tax evasion.

You really need an attorney.

BTW, I am in TN.

Apr 23, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Nah man it was simple possession that's it I have court on Monday and I signed up for a court appointed lawyer today.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 06:09 PM

In TN and GA, if a group of people are together, even in a city park, and the police find drugs on one of them, they can charge all the people in the group with the possession charge.

And in a car, yep, if there was just one joint in the ash tray, they could have charged every person in the car with possession, that is how they define it in those states.

And just one bowl in the car, can get all of you charged. The fact is you knew it was in the car and did not get out of the car. So you were part of the crime, a party to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Simple possession [ 3 Answers ]

My son was charged with Simple Possession of Marijuana. He was in a car with other kids when they got pulled over for not using a blinker. The boy in the front seat passed the joint they were smoking into the backseat to my son. He then threw it out the window. Nobody was charged but my son, the...

Anyone Know about DUI, DWI, or possession in NY [ 3 Answers ]

My dad is in NY I am in another state, I am looking for some guidance. He Has been arrested for the fourth time on DWI this morning. The last time he did a year upstate, and had porole/probation for another year, and that was almost a two years ago. This morning they found cocain in the car he...

Simple Possession first offence [ 1 Answers ]

In the state of South Carolina, first offence, plead guilty at Bond Hearing, I am confused whether or not a license is suspended automatically or if PTI is offered can you keep your license.

View more questions Search