Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcw Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2006, 05:53 PM
    Condensing Unit Frozen and Running Constantly
    For a couple weeks now I've noticed that the pipes leading from one of the outside condensing units had ice around them. This morning I opened up the unit and found ice around the compressor, too. Another thing that I've been noticing is that the fan will run all the time even if I turn off the thermostat.

So I turned off the circuit breaker and waited for the ice to melt completely from the compressor and pipes. It's been hours and hours but the unit will still turn on the second the breaker is turned on. Any advice? Is it time to call a repair service? Thank you.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2006, 06:33 AM
    Are the condensing and evaporator coils clean? Do you have a clean air filter? You must have good air flow for unit to operate properly. If all these are clean could be low on refrigerant. Also both fans must be operating properly. Sometimes the inside blower wheel may have collected a lot of dust and may not be spinning at proper speed
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2006, 06:45 AM
    Yes, dirty coils are a cause of freezing up... and so is being low on freon.
    mcw Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Yes, I cleaned the coils and replaced the filter. Plus, wiped down the blades. So that would leave the freon to check. I'm going to have it serviced this week. Hopefully, it'll just be that. Thank you for the responses. I'll let everyone know the outcome.
    bryan13r Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Could I put the freon myself or do I need to call a professional?
    bryan13r Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Can I put freon myself or do I need a professional?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 7, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Call a pro for the refrigerant recharge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend who constantly wants advice [ 6 Answers ]

I have a friend who I used to get along with quite well, but is now really getting on my nerves. A few months back she started using Photoshop for making graphics, and since I've been working in Photoshop for a while and know quite a bit about it, she started asking me for help when she had a...

Riding mower constantly cloggs [ 7 Answers ]

Does anybody here know of a way to prevent riding lawntractors from constantly clogging up. I have a huskee so mayby I wouldn't be getting this problem if I would've just coughed up the money for the john deere. Questions are this. 1) would a john deere help my problem 2) Do they make any...

New condensing unit problem [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new condensing unit and put freon in the unit, I am getting the same pressure on the high and low sides of the gauges. This leads me to believe that there is a compressor problem or that I put too much gas in it. I am reading 150 psi on the high side and the gauge is pinned on the low...

Knocking in central air while unit is not running [ 1 Answers ]

I am hearing loud knocking noises inside the air handler unit of my central air/heat unit located in my attic. This knocking is intermittent and I have only heard it while the unit is not running. I did not notice the noise until the winter and I started using the heat. Any ideas of what this...

View more questions Search