Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammixmaster Posts: 282, Reputation: 15

Apr 19, 2009, 06:06 PM
    Gold, Platinum and Diamond artists?
    Why is it that different countries have different standards for becoming a gold, platinum or diamond selling artist? For example, in the US to be considered platinum you're album has to sell over 1 million copies (or close enough). But in Canada its only 80,000. That makes no sense. That would mean that someone like Paris Hilton (who has no musical talent) who only sold a little over 80,000 copies of her album is considered a platinum artist in Canada, but her album didn't even break Gold here in the US. Why is that? Why are some artists considered platinum or gold in one country when their album totally flops in another?

*Note: I used this site to get the RIAA certifications of the countries:

List of music recording sales certifications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Apr 21, 2009, 11:51 AM
    I think that the differences in sales figures required for gold, platinum and diamond is based on the population of the country. The U.S. has a much larger population than Canada, so an album has to sell many more copies there to be considered a success. Gold is 50,000 in Canada and 500,000 in the U.S. Platinum is 100,000 in Canada and one million in the U.S. Diamond is 1 million in Canada and 10 million in the U.S.

Apr 21, 2009, 12:33 PM

That makes sense. It's just not fair in my opinion. Paris Hilton shouldn't be on the same level as REAL platinum artists.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Apr 21, 2009, 02:58 PM
    I agree that Paris Hilton has no musical talent. 70s classic rock and 80s glam metal were great, but there hasn't been any good music since the late 1980s, it's a shame.

Apr 21, 2009, 03:09 PM

This is true. While I may only be 19, I am a big music critic and its true, the 80's were pretty much the golden age for music. Now a-days artists don't care about their music. The days of artists taking time to perfect every song on an album are over. Today, artists rush to get their music on iTunes and in the stores so they can make their millions (if that). Shame really... oh well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meaning of markings on gold and diamond ring. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a gold and diamond ring with the following symbols on the underside. 150 14k Ultra Gem Can anyone tell me what these markings mean? Thanks

Solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight? [ 11 Answers ]

Which dioamond ring should I buy a solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight?

Diamond shape marking on an antique gold ring, what is the symbol for? [ 4 Answers ]

:rolleyes: I have an older lady friend, that has had a ring for many years... with a diamond shape marking on the inside of it... & would like to know what the marking represents... Is it a brand or the amount of gold in it... Thanks... mjharlow

Hallmark on Gold Diamond ring [ 2 Answers ]

Does the letters DIA that form part of the hallmark on a gold diamond ring mean it has an authentic diamond.:)

View more questions Search