Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Novus Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2006, 08:40 AM
    New computer freezes at random times
    I just bought an HP a1560n Pavilion Media Center. It will freeze up randomly without any errors, blue screens, or anything, it simply stops responding. The only way to unfreeze it is to power it off. When I say it freezes randomly, I mean completely randomly. Sometimes it will freeze 10 seconds after loading the desktop before I've even touched it, other times I can use it for up to 30 minutes before it locks up.

I haven't been able to isolate it. I'm unable to determine if it's a software or hardware problem. On the hardware side, I've checked to make sure all power cables are plugged in tightly, I've reseated the memory, and made sure the fans are running properly. On the software side, I've disabled just about everything I can that isn't essential. I'm thinking next of starting it up in Safe Mode and seeing if it locks up then. The computer is brand new, and it has Norton Internet Security which has been updated and scanned, so I'm doubting the cause is any sort of virus/spyware.

The system specs are 2.8 GHz Intel dual processor, 2 GB ram, 300 GB hard drive, 945G chipset, Intel GMA 950 graphics card, and an integrated sound card (unsure of the model). It's running Windows XP Media Center.

I suppose the obvious next step is to call tech support, but I wanted to run this by you folks and see if you've ever encountered something similar, and if you have any insight. So thanks in advance!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 15, 2006, 10:15 AM
    Frankly, if you just bought it take it back and get an AMD X2 model.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2006, 10:30 AM
    I'm with Scott - if you just brought it, get a refund.

It might be worth giving it a wipe and reinstalling Windows to see if it's a software issue.

Sep 15, 2006, 11:04 AM
    You can use the Restore functionality to reset the machine to factory settings. You can access the restore functionality during power up. I wouldn't do a complete wipe however as that might affect the warranty.

Sep 15, 2006, 12:08 PM
    Hm. Well I did go into setup last night and reset it to factory settings. Didn't change anything. On further thought, I definitely am going to contact tech support. It's 3 days old, still under warranty, no reason it shouldn't be working. I guess the reason I tried fixing it myself first was that I didn't want to have them say I have to send it in and then wait weeks to get my computer back...

Thanks for the replies

Sep 15, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Where did you purchase it from? After three days you should be able to return it for an exchange.

With a problem like this, the tech will walk you through various things to try, but if its hardware (machine gets too hot could cause this) then it would have to go back for repair unless you purchased a store warranty.

Sep 15, 2006, 01:56 PM
    Ordered it through Newegg.com

If it's a hardware problem, I'm definitely replacing it. I have 30 days supposedly

Sep 16, 2006, 08:13 PM
    Well, I finally narrowed it down. It had to do with my network card of all things. Anytime it was connected, there was a good chance the whole computer would freeze up. Updated the drivers, and it isn't doing that anymore.

Except now it knocks me offline for a minute or two every half hour or so.

My network card is a TRENDnet 108Mbps. The odd thing is, when I updated the driver automatically through windows, the device name changed in the hardware list to say "Atheros Wireless Adapter". After doing a little digging, I found out that that's the name of the chip on the TRENDnet wireless card. Anyone ever heard of a device changing names like that? Or a card kicking you off periodically?

Sep 17, 2006, 03:28 AM
    Yes, actually. Many peripherals are generic. They just slap their brand on an OEM mfg's product. So the drivers are also generic and show a generic name.

So it appears you added a wireless card to your machine, because that definitely didn't come with the 1560. Not sure why its knocking you off line, could be your broadband provider, not the card.
    kunnu8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2006, 10:01 AM
    I guess there is a hardware compatibility issue with your PC. Its quite strange for a HP machine to do that. Generally assembled PCs face this problem. Like you said about the network card, try replacing it with another one may be from your friend and see if it still gives you the problem.

For more information on compatibility see http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/

Sep 19, 2006, 05:26 AM
    Okay, I think I've solved the problem. Yes, this card was an addition to the computer, but one that should have worked. Even going to that testedproducts website, I found my card and it says it should be compatible with the OS.

Scouring the internet, I came across a forum where someone said they were having this same problem with a different card. Being desperate, I figured I'd try their solution, and it worked! (So far at least, needs more testing)

So apparently, with some systems, the installation utility that comes with the card doesn't work somehow, and installs the driver wrong. The solution was to uninstall everything with the card, and put the installation CD in, but don't run it. Then when Windows asks you to install a driver for this new hardware, you tell it you want to install it manually, and point it to the exact folder on the CD where the driver is.

Very strange problem, considering the card worked flawlessly on my other computer. Guess this is one fix you guys can add to your toolbelt. I can't believe I've spent countless hours working on this thing, just to have a dumb little issue like that be the problem. Computers can be so cruel sometimes.

I appreciate the replies. I got more feedback on here than anywhere else I tried.

Sep 19, 2006, 06:06 AM
    Sounds like the OEM who made the card screwed up on the disk.

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for passing along the solution.

P.S. Still think you would have been better with a 1540 instead of the 1560.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer freezes when scanning! [ 3 Answers ]

Please help, I am somewhat knowledgeable about my computer but I am stumped.:mad: When I run a virus scan or my adaware scan(by lavasoft) my computer freezes. It froze before I put the adaware on there. I have a WALMART computer. HP with windows XP. Can U guys give me any hints?? :)

Computer is freezing [ 2 Answers ]

well I'm having the problem that my computer continuosly is freezing. So I read that may be for some spy or other things my computer would have, so I downloaded hijackthis and did a scan but I don't know what should I do this is the hijackthis log Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2 Scan saved at...

Computer freezes to often, need help or sugestions please [ 1 Answers ]

Hello again it me with the crappy computer :eek: I am trying tofigure out how to make my computer stop freezing up every 10-20 mines when I am surfing the web. I don't know what it is because I can play games for 2-10 hours and no freezing up. Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? And...

Computer Freezes [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone please help me?  I have an E-Machine AMD Duron 800Mhz computer with 768 RAM.  I have been having a lot of problems with my computer for the past year.  Whenever I am using it, either on the web, printing something or just using a program, the computer just freezes.  I have done all the...

View more questions Search