Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taxhelpseeker Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 08:25 AM
    Legal status in US for H1B visa holder
    Hello,

I am on H1B visa here in US. I changed my employer in Dec 2008 but till now I have not got any project and so I do not have any pay stubs with me. My wife is on F1 visa. Now my employer is asking me to go back to India and he is planning to cancel my H1.

If I get a project here in US from India and If my H1 is canceled, will it be possible for me to transfer my H1 while I am in India to a new employer.

My employer suggested me that I come back to US on F2 visa as a dependent and then transfer it to H1. Is it feasible or possible at all?

Regards,
    Rahul Gupta
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 06:34 PM
    If H-1 has been canceled, you cannot file for a transfer. You have to start over..

If you are on F-2 but later got selected H-1, you can file for change of status as long as no violations on your record, i.e. overstay, etc.

Apr 19, 2009, 07:47 PM
    Thanks a lot for your reply. Actually I have got my H1 in 2007 and I never applied for F2. Now since I do not have my pay stubs from the last 4 months, can I file for F2 or it might get rejected? Also suppose I go back to India and mean while my employer here files for my H1 cancellation, can I come on F2 and then apply for H1 transfer.
    Please let me know. I need to know this before moving. Thanks again.

Regards,
    Rahul
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 08:05 PM

F-2 has nothing to do with your previous visa or pay stubs. As long as F-1 is valid, and you can prove the relationship is genuine (legally married), there will be no problem. Good luck.

Apr 19, 2009, 08:09 PM

Thanks. It really helped a lot to me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may...

H1 visa holder - query on tax filing status [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US on 29th Sept 2007. I am married. I am here on H1B visa. My wife joined me on the 26th Jan 2008. My query is that while filing my returns for the year should I enter my filing status as "married filing seperately" or "married filing jointly". I understand that since...

H1B visa holder - filing status? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a H1B visa holder since October 2007. Before that I was on F1 I got married in December 2007 and my wife will join me in March 2008 Can I file as married and jointly for 2007 even though my wife never set feet in US before? Thanks, vijay

L-1 Visa holder - filing status - Can all the deductions be claimed ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on L-1 Visa in US since Nov 27,2005 through Mar 03, 2006 and was back on Apr 15 2006. My Spose and child joined me in Apr 15,2006. I have filed taxes for 2005 as NR as I was here for a month only. For 2006 I believe I will be a resident alien having passed the substantial...

Federal Tax status for HI-B Visa Holder [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I graduated in May 2005 and have been holding a H1-B visa since December 2005. I am wondering what is my tax status for this year ? Which form should I fIll out? Is it possible for me to file my taxes as if I was a permanent resident even though I do not hold a green card (In the past I was...

View more questions Search