Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cleaningman23 Posts: 255, Reputation: 5

Jun 15, 2009, 06:06 PM

Well lets hope this is a battle well won..
    I even invested 15 dollars and had all the contracts binded at kinkos
    In your face cindys cleaning hehe jkin

I already told my fiancé we are celebrating with a bottle of wine when we hear the good news hehe

Jun 17, 2009, 10:23 AM

Soooooooooooooooooo
    Stringer
    I made only two small adjustments to my prices I figured out if I lowered the prices on two of the properties I would actually be working for no reason if someone were to clean for me...
    So I actually decided to lower my bid to .07 on tow of them...
    I emailed her the response..
    She did seem to pleased but she said they are reviewing all contracts today and would give me a call back,,
    I'm in business to make money not work for free "I wanted to say"

Thank You for rall the help and support on the matter...
    Ill let you know what the results are a little bit later
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaningman23 View Post
    Soooooooooooooooooo
    Stringer
    I made only two small adjustments to my prices i figured out if i lowered the prices on two of the properties I would actually be working for no reason if someone were to clean for me....
    So I actually decided to lower my bid to .07 on tow of them ...
    I emailed her the reponse..
    she did seem to pleased but she said they are reviewing all contracts today and would give me a call back,,,
    im in business to make money not work for free "I wanted to say"

Thank You fo rall the help and support on the matter...
    Ill let you know what the results are a little bit later
    Yep... like I said prior, P. M.'s can be ruthless... What they say and what the true is are sometimes two different matters.

Jun 17, 2009, 10:45 AM

Here is what she said... Im not going to sell myself short for these people... Current economic situation... you were right all along my friend...

Our first responsibility is to the properties that employ our services; and considering our current economic situation, pricing is always a priority. I personally believe that pricing should not affect a companies quality of service. Thank you for taking the time to submit the proposal for each of the properties requested; however, we will be awarding the contracts to another company who was able to negotiate pricing to be comparable to our current contracts. Again, your time and consideration in this matter has been greatly appreciated.

Jun 17, 2009, 11:00 AM
    Im not some Cindys Cleaning...
    Business Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Here is what she said....Im not going to sell myself short for these ppl.... Current economic situation ...you were right all along my friend...

Our first responsibility is to the properties that employ our services; and considering our current economic situation, pricing is always a priority. I personally believe that pricing should not affect a companies quality of service. Thank you for taking the time to submit the proposal for each of the properties requested; however, we will be awarding the contracts to another company who was able to negotiate pricing to be comparable to our current contracts. Again, your time and consideration in this matter has been greatly appreciated.
    Well, you are probably better off in the long run. It was great experience, not only with the pricing and proposal information but how it can be out there.

My advice... get back up on that horse now...

Jun 17, 2009, 03:38 PM

Wohooooooo
    IM saddlin up for another shot
    I got my ol horsey ready for round 5
    Hehe
    May I ask.. what percentage of bids do you win.. im curious :-P
    Business Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Wohooooooo
    IM saddlin up for another shot
    I got my ol horsey ready for round 5
    hehe
    may I ask..what percentage of bids do you win..im curious :-P
    Our business is somewhat unique, you make a cold call and try to give a proposal. If it doesn't work then that building will be there for a long time (it is reusable in a sense) so you keep contact about every six months. Owners change, people change, etc... Some however like P. M.'s we have dropped from the call list, unless they call us.

In a nutshell... 100 cold calls; 15 - 20 interviews; 3 - 6 proposals; 2 - 3 sales... on average.

Also, usually from initial contact it is usually 3 months to contract; bid time, decision time, when the present contract expires... (3 months usually).

Jun 17, 2009, 06:59 PM

Hehe I feel Ya stringer
    At first I was skeptical and didn't understand why you hated pms so much
    Now I know!! They are CHEAP
    You were right all along... was that price I gave them a good price you think?
    The funny thing was two of my proposals were only about 45-60 dollars higher than their older budget...
    Which to me isn't bad since they just got out of a two year contract... and the others were only about 75 dollars higher...
    Business Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 08:13 PM
    Hehe I feel Ya stringer
    at first i was skeptical and didnt understand why u hated pms so much
    now I know !!! They are CHEAP
    You were right all along.... was that price I gave them a good price you think?
    the funny thing was two of my proposals were only about 45-60 dollars higher than their older budget.....
    which to me isnt bad since they just got out of a two year contract.... and the others were only about 75 dollars higher....
    Yeah, I 'm sure that there are some good P.M.'s out there.

That is a perfect example, you were only talking about maybe $175.00 more a month. Let them have it, you don't need the pain... and trust me there will be pain... they will complain a lot.

This economy has forced a lot of companies to tighten their belts... it is now give and take on both sides. I am experiencing it a lot in all fields/markets.

Your pricing was very competitive. For future pricing of medium density Class B and C buildings use that as a keystone,

I am going to go to our emails last night about pricing and copy and paste them here to possibly help other people.

Thanks,

Stringer

Jun 17, 2009, 08:35 PM

Yes. I was also going to post your email but was unsure about what to post. You did say a few things in there I was unsure about hehe

Jun 17, 2009, 08:51 PM

Hi stringer I was wondering do you have an office for your business or do u run operations from your home?
    Business Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 08:52 PM
    Yes. I was also going to post your email but was unsure about what to post. You did say a few things in there I was unsure about hehe
    No problem... Clean, here is what I think is pertinent:

Stringer........

"I do not trust property management companies (period). What you quoted will give them the job done properly and allow you manageable profit. That being said, you know that the choice is yours.

Answer this; Are you going to be doing the cleaning yourself? Or are you going to be paying someone to do all this? (Important in my calculations…..) Because, if you are doing this yourself then anything above your expenses (including all taxes) is profit for you, no payout to workers.

# 1: I would say this, in my opinion, figure how much time it will take you to complete EACH job on a daily basis.
    # 2: With average density in the areas to be cleaned…you should be able to clean on average around 3,000 sq ft per hour. Divide this into the sq ft for each area and you will get the time it will take you to clean that specific area. If you are using workers to do this then minimum wage (loaded ) is just under $9.00 per hour in Illinois.

Example; say it takes 1 ½ hours to do a specific area = 1 ½ X $9.00 = $13.50 actual labor cost to clean it. Do you get the picture? I usually use about 17 to 25% for equipment and chemicals on top of this. For your administrative costs (taxes and other…): another 25 to 30%. See where that bottoms out for each job.

Then get back to me with your figures….in a break out for each and every one of these…

It is nice to know what their budget is and what the other company was charging….but I smell a dead fish here…. For her to be this NICE and to give you the 'present' pricing because she likes you so much and simply wants to work with you…..well, maybe? Their job is to cut or maintain all cost, especially now….she could be baiting you….because she knows you are new to commercial possibly…?

She is 'selling' you now…'buyer beware.' I can't say that this is true, but my experience of over 30 years doing this…….:(

Bottom line is: IF, you can work up your new total figures and compare them to hers and still make a decent profit (20 to 25% on smaller jobs like this) for each and every one of these…then possibly go with it. If for some reason after you do your due diligence and your figures are below hers then I would obviously use hers. I would tell her that you worked hard to 'squeeze' your figures and managed to match hers…tell her nothing else, the more info you give her the more she has to use against you if needed later.

If you are going to do this work yourself then you may have more wiggle room.

When we are finished with this email, I want you to 'copy' it and paste it on your thread please." - Stringer

Cleaningman23......

"Hi Lloyd,
    I do understand where you are coming from, but for some reason they keep dangling more opportunities in front of my face. Which to me, can open up into other companies than them. I am in this business to make a profit though and will refuse to work for nothing. I have calculated that some days I would bring a worker and work besides him possibly cutting my labor cost by 20%. These are the figures I have calculated so far with your equation.

Suite 105= 1.67 HRS X 9.00 per hr= $15.03 labor
    Same building(same day of cleaning) Network= .96 HRS X 9.00 = $8.64 labor
    Those two would total to about $23.67 per week or $94.68 per month for labor

Suite A and B= 1.13 HRS X $9.00 per hr= $10.17
    XXXXXX Building .82 hrs X $9.00 hr=$7.38
    Those two would total $17.55 per day cleaned or $70.20 per month

Both of those together will be $164.88 Per month labor and less if I were to work along.

Now would the admin fees and equipment be on top of the over cost for all the jobs? Or individually?

Thanks again"

Stringer.....

"On top of…..simply take the percentage you want to add to the labor: (percentage??) X the labor for each thing….supplies, equipment, profit…. Then get a total monthly for each job. Then evaluate that against her figures. Then if hers is higher…use hers…if not then you have a problem."

Jun 17, 2009, 09:03 PM

Hehe I am hoping this post will be the old post on how to start a thrift store... only 20,000 more views to go hehee
    Business Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Hi stringer I was wondering do you have an office for your business or do u run operations from your home?
    Both... We have a staffed office and I have a complete separate office in my home with all my personal and business files. I set my 'home office' up several years ago, much more convenient for me as I work many ungodly hours. Many times I am in here doing follow up letters or proposals at 3-4 am.

But all official business; staff meetings, invoicing, accounts payable, sales meetings, supplier meetings, etc are always handled at our main office... it's about 1500 sq ft with5 offices and a conference/video room that seats 12.
    Business Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 09:08 PM
    Hehe I am hoping this post will be the old post on how to start a thrift store....only 20,000 more views to go hehee
    :confused: Thrift Store? Please explain...

Jun 17, 2009, 09:20 PM

Sounds Cozy
    Hehe One day I will be there!
    Besides that If you go to the main page under small business and click Views or responses tab at the top...
    It will show the highest amount...
    And there is something that has a thrift store... with clough... as the last responder...

Over 20,000 views
    Business Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Sounds Cozy
    hehe One day I will be there!
    Besides that If you go to the main page under small business and click Views or responses tab at the top....
    It will show the highest amount .....
    and there is something that has a thrift store......with clough ....as the last responder.........

over 20,000 views
    Hi Clean, I went there, found the 'thrift store' but there were not 20,000 views?

Jun 17, 2009, 09:57 PM

Really this is what I got...
    Search this Forum

Rating Question / Asker Last Post Answers Views Reverse Sort Order

How to start a thrift store (Multi-page thread 1 2)
    Ecomoe

Nov 10, 2008 11:46 AM
    By Clough Go to last post
    13 20,340
    Business Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 10:12 PM
    Really this is what I got ...
    Search this Forum

Rating Question / Asker Last Post Answers Views Reverse Sort Order

How to start a thrift store (Multi-page thread 1 2)
    ecomoe

Nov 10, 2008 11:46 AM
    by Clough Go to last post
    13 20,340

Still confused although I would like to see the thread. Please just copy the thread address at the top of the page on this thread and paste it here... K?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial cleaning [ 4 Answers ]

I have just started a commercial cleaning company and I am having trouble finding contracts. I am in the Maryland,DC and va area.

Commercial cleaning [ 1 Answers ]

How do I price a commercial cleaning?

Commercial cleaning [ 4 Answers ]

Once I get them on the phone what should I say?

Commercial Cleaning [ 1 Answers ]

I am interested in starting my own cleaning business with someone that I work with now but we both work under someone else.We have a chance to pick up a very big job but we are not licensed and bonded.I live in Marion county, Florida and was told that you do not have to be licensed.How do I go...

View more questions Search