Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jandtspencer Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Apr 14, 2009, 11:44 AM
    feeding a pup
    I've read so many things online about how many times to feed a pup and how much water to give them. Mine is 7 weeks old and it's a small breed dog-pom. Does anyone know? Right now I am feeding him 3x a day and leaving water out all the time. Is this okay? Too much?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 12:25 PM
    Three times a day is far too much unless they are very small meals.
    My dogs get a chicken neck for breakfast, about a cup of wet food for dinner, they get dogs biscuits as treats before bed sometimes.

And to the person who said "its a bloody dog" it's obvious the original poster cares for their dog and just wants to make sure it doesn't go hungry.

Edited to say I have adult miniature poodles... what I feed is too much for a baby pom :)

Apr 14, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    my dogs get a chicken neck for breakfast, about a cup of wet food for dinner, they get dogs biscuits as treats before bed sometimes.

And to the person who said "its a bloody dog" it's obvious the original poster cares for their dog and just wants to make sure it doesn't go hungry.

Edited to say I have adult miniature poodles... what I feed is too much for a baby pom :)
    SINCERE thanks to you. I was beginning to wonder if anyone with compassion would answer!:) I am feeding him about 2 tablespoons of wet food 3x a day and he is very tiny. But in my defense he acts like he's about to starve to death! And when I do try to hold out "a coulple more hours" before feeding he whines and barks and shakes his paw at me and yes, I give in. he's going for his first check-up Monday at the vet but if I had to guess I would say at 7 weeks now he is probably barely a pound in weight, maybe a pound and a half at most. What would you recommend since you have small dogs? I will ask the vet also Monday - just curious. Thanks.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 01:06 PM
    No worries, I usually try to jump in if the local pirannahs start snapping at nothing :p
    It's hard to say what weight he should be without seeing him, your vet will be able to tell you more accurately but in any dog you should be able to feel a slight hint of rib. A lot of people think that feeling a dogs ribs means they are skinny but run your hand down his back with your fingers on either side and you should be able to just feel the bumps of his last few ribs.

It sounds like you are giving the right amount, personally I would just give a small breakfast and a bigger dinner, it's easier on you and the dog won't mind, there are a lot of dogs that only get one big meal a day.
    Don't spoil him or you will have a little monster! Lol
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 14, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xemerx View Post
    I do i love puppies but its not going to die if your feeding it THREE times a day you silly person..
    What the heck is your problem? I'm sorry but this answer was incredibly uncalled for! Unless you know what you are talking about, please do not answer questions on the pet forum, as you clearly have no knowledge in this area. Also, you have broken site rules. Please refer to rules and regulations of the site. There is no name calling here. Your advice was not correct, nor helpful in any way! If you "love" puppies as you say, you would not have given such advice. Please refrain from ill advice!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 14, 2009, 01:57 PM

Your puppy should actually not even be gone from his mother yet. He needed his mothers milk to develop his bones get the proper nutritition. You can start him on a kibble, or wet food if you choose, (I personally would go with the kibble) but you may want to mix this with a bit of puppy milk replacement, that you can buy at a pet store.

Make sure that the food you are feeding him has the proper nutritional balance. Meat and high protein should be at the top of the list of ingredients, and look for other added nutrients and above all calcium at this point, because he was taken from his mother too early.

If you are feeding him moist food, 1/4 to 1/3 a can daily, 3 to 4 times a day. If you are feeding dry kibble, then 1/3 to 3/4 cups of food 3-4 times a day. Just make sure it is a high quality, high nutrient food that doesn't contain filler, for his early development.

Have fresh water in a clean bowl available to him at all times!

Edit:: Just an afterthought. Do not give your puppy "cows milk!"
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 14, 2009, 01:59 PM
    Each food has different requirements on feeding due to the nutritional facts varying from food to food. Try to follow the requirements on the label for puppies the requirements are pretty true to what should be given due to most puppies being very active and growing. Adult dog vary because of activity level and such so in that case I would measure on individual lifestyle of dog. Just as a little advice always remember.. it's not how much you feed but how much nutrition is in the food that matters. If the food has mostly fillers like corn, by-products and such then the animal isn't getting enough substance in protein form especially for growing puppies... could be why your little one seems so hungry. What food are you feeding? Good luck with your puppy your doing a good job with your concern!

Apr 14, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsCanFix View Post
    Each food has different requirements on feeding due to the nutritional facts varying from food to food. Try to follow the requirements on the label for puppies the requirements are pretty true to what should be given due to most puppies being very active and growing. Adult dog vary because of activity level and such so in that case I would measure on individual lifestyle of dog. Just as a little advice always remember..it's not how much you feed but how much nutrition is in the food that matters. If the food has mostly fillers like corn, by-products and such then the animal isn't getting enough substance in protein form especially for growing puppies...could be why your little one seems so hungry. What food are you feeding? good luck with your puppy your doing a good job with your concern!!
    Right now pedigree because that is what my husbands uncle told me to give him. The puppy was a gift and his uncle has raised about 50 poms and has a yard full of them running around all the time. I wouldn't call him a breeder though and I thought 6 weeks was awful young but I have never gotten a puppy before, all the animals I have had before have been pretty much full grown by the time I got them. Then the other night I was researching dogfood and found out that pedigree was one of the worst foods you can feed a dog!! Shows how much he knows, right? I just bought 2 cans and a bag of dry puppy food but I plan on going out this week and getting a better brand from a pet store. The vet I'm taking max to Monday also said they would send a sample dogfood home with me to try out. I am planning on getting their opinion as well. I have researched dogfood ingrediants and feel I know better now. You are most certainly right about that being why he's always hungry! Thanks for your kind help!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 14, 2009, 04:29 PM

Yes, Pedigree is full of filler. Most grocery store brands are, and they are full of fat and other things. You would be horrified to hear what some of them actually contain, including road kill animals and dead dog parts. The ingredients in these foods can cause so many health problems in dogs, from pulmunary problems, to cancer, just as a human that eats fast food everyday of their life, and other foods that are bad for them.

I have done a lot of research because I initially made the mistake of feeding my dog Purina Pro Plan. Now granted, this is definitely not the worst brand out there, but I failed to look at the ingredients. I just trusted the company. I no longer do that, and I hope my fur babe lives much longer because I realized what I was doing. I now feed her a holistic/organic brand that I have done the research on, and it has a ton of supplements, vitamins and nutrients. They need them just as we do.

Unfortunately the brand I feed my girl is a new Canadian brand, and I don't know if it's available to other countries at this point, although I'm sure they would ship. I know there are many other brands that are likely just as good for them.

I'm glad you are looking out for your puppy's health. She will live a much longer and healthier life if you feed her the right food. Although sometimes it may cost a little more, the vet costs far outway the cost of feeding a family member food that has little or no nutritional value. :)

(ps, no offense... but yes your uncle is a backyard breeder, if not involved in the puppymill industry) Please have your dog neutered! We don't need anymore homeless dogs that die in shelters, and it will also reduce many health risks, and behavioural problems.

Apr 14, 2009, 06:35 PM
    I've been involved in animal rescue for so many years, to see so many dogs not cared for and just neglected breaks my heart. I feel if I can feed myself organic and good food then I can do the same to what I feel are my little kids. Your doing a great job researching and reading what's out there. Pedigree... well, maybe this is too harsh and I shouldn't say this but being in the industry for many years I just know this.. but they spray their food with blood to make it more palatable. Yuk! I know.

I feed my little one Nutro Ultra Adult but they have a puppy formula too. I personally like foods that have a combination of protein source like that one... chicken,turkey,lamb and salmon so that way your getting different sources of protein and the essential oils like in the salmon and lamb. I switch off food with holistic ones also like Solid Gold is great, Wellness has a good puppy formula. I have taken in so many rescues and most have a coat issue because of malnutrition, your pup was taken from his mother too soon but you can and he is still young enough to pull him out of the effects of that by supplementing with Goat's milk. Next to mothers milk it's the most digestible with the lactose being pre digested from the goat. It's great for humans and also for supplementing to puppies, I've given it to all the pups that like yours were pulled away too soon. You can make a mixture with your dry food and the goats milk warmed to make a soft pattee and he will love it. Good luck, hope I helped. These are just some ideas but you'll be a good mom to him and find your way with what he likes.

Apr 14, 2009, 08:43 PM

Awwww, thank you so much. I appreciate the kind words. : )
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 14, 2009, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsCanFix View Post
    Awwww, thank you so much. I appreciate the kind words. : )
    Trust me, we can always use another helpful and caring hand around here!

Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    my dogs get a chicken neck for breakfast, about a cup of wet food for dinner, they get dogs biscuits as treats before bed sometimes.

An actual chicken neck? Or is that slang for something else.
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Yes an actual chicken neck, I just buy mine from our local chicken supplier in bulk and freeze them.
    They are gross and you occasionally get a head still attached (they go in the bin after I have freaked my partner out with them :p) but the dogs love them.
    Raw chicken bones are good for dogs in small amounts (too much can constipate them) and I prefer feeding necks over wings because it is safer as my little tykes don't do much chewing, it's just crunch, crunch, swallow.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 15, 2009, 12:16 PM

It is a misconception that chicken is bad for dogs. It's only cooked chicken bones that can cause problems, raw is actually okay.

Once a chicken is cooked, the bones become brittle and sharp, that when the possibility of a dog dying from eating the bones comes into play.

Raw chicken bones are actually very flexible, bendy, unlikely to break of pierce anything.

Just another useless bit of knowledge that's in the back of my brain. ;)
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 01:26 PM
    What about the meat that is on the chicken neck? It's been so long since I've seen a chicken neck I forgot what they look like or if there is meat on it.. I keep picturing a Turkey neck. Sorry about all the questions, I'm just now learning about the chicken thing.
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 01:33 PM

They have about half a centimeter of meat on them the whole way round a little bit of fat.
    I used to work in a supermarket deli and some older people used to buy them to make chicken stock out of (eww)
    You can also get whole chicken carcasses, they are just the bone frame with a few scraps of meat left on them, they need to be cut up so the dog doesn't try to swallow large pieces though.

Ever since Brody my male poodle decided to steal a bag of them out of the fridge I keep them in a sealed ice cream container!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 15, 2009, 01:43 PM

As Alty said, these are not "cooked" chicken bones are they? Cooked chicken bones are extremely dangerous to dogs. They splinter in their intestines, and cause internal bleeding.
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 01:47 PM

I did say raw chicken :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 01:50 PM

So basically, you buy them and then freeze them and defrost them naturally, so nothing gets cooked at all, then give it to them whole. I seem to be learning a lot on this sight and don't want to screw any thing up. I'm changing my regular dog food tomorrow, from what I've read, what I've been feeding them isn't doing them any good. I have 18 lb and 12 lb poodles.
    Thank you for enlightening me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pros/Cons of Breast feeding vs. Formula feeding. [ 9 Answers ]

I have heard that if you don't breast feed your baby will have an unhealthy immune system (although I am pretty healthy, and was bottle fed), and I have also heard horror sotries about breast feeding. What are good vs. bad of breast feeding/bottle feeding?:D:D

Puppy feeding [ 4 Answers ]

We have a 4 month old shepard lab mix and have been feeding her dry puppy food. Someone told us that we should add water to the food because they have rolling stomachs. Is this true?

Puppy and feeding [ 4 Answers ]

I have eight 21/5 week old part Lab puppies - at what age can I feed them and what?

Feeding kittens [ 1 Answers ]

When and what should I feed my cats kittens?

Dog feeding equipment [ 1 Answers ]

Should I be washing the dogs bowls, plates, and forks separate to mine? With a separate pair of washing up rubber gloves and a separate wash cloth because of a danger I or my young son could get sick from germs on her bowls etc, or is it OK? What do you do about this?

View more questions Search