Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxxchloeexxx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 07:54 AM
    2000 Jeep Wrangler won't start
    Hello Everyone. I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. I went to start it Saturday afternoon and the key will go in the ignition, it will turn, all the gauges will come on, lights work, horn works but the car will not start. I hear clicking but it won't make any cranking noises.
    Starter issue or Solenoid issue?
    I just drove it Friday night and everything was great.

We ended up pop-starting it Saturday and took it on a 2hr drive and everything was perfectly fine. No check engine, nothing out of the ordinary. Just if you turn the vehicle off, you have to pop it again.
    Any suggestions?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 07:59 AM

Remove and fully charge the battery. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. My bet, however, is that you need a new battery. You really don't want to jump start modern-day cars--you run the risk of a voltage spike damaging the ECM, alternator, sensors, and more.
    xxxchloeexxx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey View Post
    Remove and fully charge the battery. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. My bet, however, is that you need a new battery. You really don't want to jump start modern-day cars--you run the risk of a voltage spike damaging the ECM, alternator, sensors, and more.

Even if everything on the car works fine... you still think it might be the battery? We tried jump starting it Saturday & that would not work. The battery is not very old either.
    It's almost as if the car had one of those anti-thefts and it was engaged... but of course they don't.
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 09:10 AM

If you think the battery is good, placing it on a charger will confirm its true condition. Always start diagnosing vehicle electrical problems by knowing the battery is good. Next, check all underhood and underdash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

This way, you start establishing a "known-good baseline."
    RHLawson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2014, 11:44 PM
    I have the same problem as xxxchloeexxx. Just started of the blue. Its not the starter/solenoid, I had those rebuilt today. I can start it with a screw driver across the starter and solenoid connectors. I have put a jump start box on it and still nothing, so it's not the battery. The starter fuse is good and I hear a click from the starter relay. Any ideas?

Apr 8, 2014, 11:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxchloeexxx View Post
    Even if everything on the car works fine... you still think it might be the battery? We tried jump starting it Saturday & that would not work. The battery is not very old either.
    It's almost as if the car had one of those anti-thefts and it was engaged... but of course they don't.

Apr 8, 2014, 11:47 PM
    Did you get your answer to the problem? I have the same problem.
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2014, 04:59 AM
    If your Jeep has a separate starter relay in the under hood fuse/relay box, I would replace it. Frequently, a number of the relays in the under hood fuse/relay box have the same part number. In this case, simply substitute one of the other relays for the starter relay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 jeep grand cherokee won't start [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2000 jeep grand cherokee 6 cylinder that will turn over but will not start. I do not see a distributer, a plug wire, or spark plug, Please help me.

1997 jeep wrangler stalls, will not start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1997 jeep wrangler. A few days ago I was waiting at a stop sign and when I went to pull out my Jeep stalled then completely quit. I assumed it was a fuel pump and replaced the fuel pump module (ouch!). I drove the jeep for 15-20 minutes trying out the new repair and the Jeep died again...

View more questions Search