Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alison007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 05:44 AM
    Shower smell
    Hi there,

I installed a shower at my house in the upstairs bathroom and now get a very bad smell whenever I use the shower, never when I use the toilet or sink! The smell also doesn't rise in the bathroom but about 10 foot away in the upstairs hall and rises into the loft causing a horrible stink, this is my bedroom so you can imagine its not nice, especially if you have a shower just before bed. The drains are fine and 1 plumber said a "vent in the pipe might be open" If so where is this vent! Do I have to rip into the walls! My partner is very DIY minded and if someone could point us in the right direction it would be great! I can't stand he smell anymore:( :mad: :( . Also other people have mentioned about p traps etc, where are these situated and how do you get to them, if I don't sound to dumb! :eek:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2006, 01:28 PM
    Most bad shower and lavatory smells are caused by rotting hair matted with grease from the soap. Try this. Tonight before you go to bed pour 1/2" gallon of bleach down the drain. Next morning flush the bleach out with, (and this is important) two large pans of boiling water. The bleach will start to dissolve the hair and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the mess out. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in shower... [ 26 Answers ]

I don't know if this has been covered, but whenever my shower is running the smell of sewage seems to be coming up from my drain. This happens in only one bathroom, this bathroom being on the second floor. There is a 1/2 bath in the basement that hasn't been used in years, we just recently bought...

Fowl Smell From Shower Drain [ 6 Answers ]

I read a discussion on this forum that occurred in 2005. Several people noted they had sewer like smell coming from a single shower drain. Speedball1 had several suggestions regarding cleaning out hair or other biological material from the drain. Some of the questioners tried all the suggestions...

Gurgling in the shower drain and sewer smell [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into a 100 year old farm house about 8 months ago. The plumbing was replaced in the 80's. We are learning the ins and outs of the house. About 2 weeks ago we started hearing a gurgling sound in the shower drain in the upstairs bathroom when we flushed the toilet. Now we are smelling a...

Shower Drains Slow/bad smell [ 1 Answers ]

I just remodeled my bathroom. I removed the tub/shower and installed a new shower stall only. The new plumbing is built like this: I removed the tub drain and over-flow pipe just above the p-trap and attached a new 24 inch, 2 inch diameter ABS pipe just above the old p-trap, using an elbow. This...

Basement Shower Smell [ 3 Answers ]

This sounds like a lot of your previous questions but none of the scenarios match up. I have a shower in the basement of my 1928 house. I bad smell is coming from the drain. It looks like the drain doesn't match up with the 3-4" cast iron floor pipe and they used concrete to direct the water over...

View more questions Search