Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StrongButInLove Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Apr 11, 2009, 10:37 AM
    Dog scratching hard wood floor
    Hi,

I have a 5 year old boxer who is just a bundle of joy. We recently moved into a new house with hard wood floors. When anyone come to the door, she chrages through the living room (hard wood) through the kitchen (hardwood) and into the entryway area to see who has arrived. It is doing a number on the hardwood floors and leaving gashes throughout the entire house. How can I stop her from destroying our house?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 01:17 PM
    Recently a grooming tool has come on the market that goes by the brand name "PediPaws" or something like that. It's a grinder with a safety shield on it that you use to dull the animal's claws. It claims regular use will eliminate the need for nail trimming, but dulling the claws might help your floors.
    StrongButInLove Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Apr 11, 2009, 03:23 PM
    Thanks for your response Catsmine. I actually have invested in this tool. To be honest, it really doesn't work well. It is made more for the use with smaller animals.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Just a thought. Training a Boxer not to protect the door probably isn't possible, and would you really want to? Throw rugs and a video camera might teach your baby not to go full speed... and the vid might make you some bucks on "America's Funniest"
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 05:07 PM

You could try 'slippers' with some sort of rubber backing so he doesn't slip rushing around.

Tick
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 12, 2009, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Just a thought. Training a Boxer not to protect the door probably isn't possible, and would you really want to? Throw rugs and a video camera might teach your baby not to go full speed ... and the vid might make you some bucks on "America's Funniest"
    No, it's not his door! Training a boxer not to rush the door IS certainly possible. Not only possible, but very probable, and easier than you may think! This has nothing at all to do with his nails, it's his behaviour. You see, it's not really the breed, it's the owner, and the way the owner handles the situation. This is your house, and you own it, not your dog. Right now, she thinks she owns your house and your door!

When someone comes to your door and he charges, you have to take control of your door by catching this even before it happens. Have your mate or a friend practise ringing the doorbell. The second your dog starts to go for the door, you get in front of her and give a command. Do this calmly. No screaming, no using her name... but be assertive with her and back her up into another room just by walking towards her and showing her what you want her to do. If she tries to come again, you send her right back. She is never allowed to be in front of you around the door. She is never allowed to be by the door when you open it, unless she is in a calm and submissive state. If you let her do this, she owns the door, and not you. Only then do you open the door and invite people in. He is not allowed to greet people until he is calm and submissive either. No excitement. If you or your company get excited, that energy will be passed right off to her, and that is when you are going to get the bad behaviour.

Do you get the National Geo Channel? Have you ever watched the Dog Whisperer? If you don't have that channel, there are dvd's and books available by Cesar Milan. His methods make sense, they are pretty easy to follow, and they do work. The good thing about his techniques, is that if you use them correctly, it doesn't take any time at all as long as you remain consistent. My dog used to rush the door all of the time, and as soon as I learned how to do it, it was a matter of minutes to teach her that this behaviour was not going to be allowed. You have to stay calm and in control, and be aware of how you are feeling, or it will not work. If you can learn to do this, you can teach any breed to do anything you ask it to do! It doesn't matter if it's a boxer, a pit,. or a chihuahua! No difference. ;)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 12:56 AM

We also have hard wood floors and although I have small dogs it still did nasty things to the floor. I know it's not very practical but we invested in a child gate that went across one of our doors, they are just a plastic gate about 2-3 foot tall, now the dogs don't have access to the front door, they are restricted to the living room/kitchen/dining.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does wood floor sweat [ 4 Answers ]

Have a wood flooring ,had to pull it up as we had a strong smell, found the floor wet to touch under the plastic, but we also had rain or pool water coming in through the wood floor from outside on 2 floorwalls. At the moment I'm drying the room I have all the wood up will cork around the room to...

I'm thinking of investing in a hard wood floor - Brazilian Koa. Any input is apprec [ 3 Answers ]

Brazilian Koa, also known as Tigerwood. I'm thinking of getting this installed in a LR, DR, Hall and BR and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it. It's unique and gorgeous and I don't think any other wood is going to make me happy after seeing this one. I have a pretty small place but...

Hard wood floors under carpet [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I are moving into a house that has carpet in the living room, dining room and hallway. We'd love to rip it up because there are hard wood floors underneath. What are the chances that they're in good enough shape that we don't need to refinish them? I ripped back a piece of carpet in...

Floor tile over wood [ 1 Answers ]

Want to lay peel and stick floor tile over hardwood floor planks in bathroom, but there are cracks between some of the planks, as they have been replaced. What would be best to fill them with? The replaced wood is also unpainted. Should it be painted before putting down the tile? Thanks for...

View more questions Search