Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mattg2 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2009, 08:36 PM
    Parents Responsible
    All right so I'm having a huge debate with my parents right now.

I am about to purchase a street bike and they are claiming, if I injure myself while I'm living underneath my roof, they are solely responsible.

I'm 19, and leaving for basic training in September, I am only under my fathers health insurance until the end of may.

So the question is, are they liable if I hurt myself on this bike, if I crash and I am living underneath their household?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 08:44 PM

In your state, the age of majority could be 18, 19, or 21. In any event, your parents could be sued for damage you cause because they allow you to live in their home.

Apr 10, 2009, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    In your state, the age of majority could be 18, 19, or 21. In any event, your parents could be sued for damage you cause because they allow you to live in their home.
    Gotchya. This doesn't apply to me damaging myself correct?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattg2 View Post
    Gotchya. This doesn't apply to me damaging myself correct?
    Who will pay for your physical damages?

Apr 10, 2009, 08:53 PM
    Who will gain for your physical damages?
    Corrected ^

My parents will probably get around $50,000 death insurance - not including funeral payments and whatnot :P I don't think there's really a just getting hurt on a bike.

Apr 10, 2009, 08:54 PM
    But thank you for answering my question, They will have to pay for any damages I may cause, but not damages caused to myself.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 09:01 PM
    Corrected ^

My parents will probably get around $50,000 death insurance - not including funeral payments and whatnot :P I don't think there's really a just getting hurt on a bike.
    You may not die. You may end up horribly maimed or with life-changing injuries. My brother was in an motorbike accident in which his leg was ripped open from knee to groin, but he did not bleed to death thanks to a quick-thinking driver who stopped to help. A friend's daughter had no helmet and was dressed in shorts and a tank top when her motor bike crashed and she flew over the handlebars to slide facedown across the asphalt. She's still alive, but not as pretty.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 09:12 PM

Consumer Reports says "The fatality rates for cruiser and "standard" riders rank the lowest, at 5.7 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles. Touring bikes, such as the Harley example, averaged 6.5 deaths, with sport bikes totaling 10.7 deaths per 10,000."

You probably won't die. If you have been drinking, your chances of surviving a crash are even better because your body will be limp and relaxed.

Your parents will feel a moral responsibility to pay for your medical costs. After all, you are their son.

Apr 11, 2009, 12:12 AM
    Consumer Reports says "The fatality rates for cruiser and "standard" riders rank the lowest, at 5.7 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles. Touring bikes, such as the Harley example, averaged 6.5 deaths, with sport bikes totaling 10.7 deaths per 10,000."

You probably won't die. If you have been drinking, your chances of surviving a crash are even better because your body will be limp and relaxed.

Your parents will feel a moral responsibility to pay for your medical costs. After all, you are their son.
    Makes sense. Personally though, wouldn't you agree that most of those deaths/injuries were caused from poor judgment or decision-making?

I guess that's a bummer because I refuse to drink and drive.

I can understand when somebody actually hits you, but from the stories I've heard in person most of the time it's people making dumb choices while on the bike itself.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 09:41 AM
    Makes sense. Personally though, wouldn't you agree that most of those deaths/injuries were caused from poor judgment or decision-making?
    Not necessarily. My brother went with friends on 'cycles to the South (U.S.) and through the Great Smokies (mountains). Redneck truck drivers tried every which way to run the 'cyclists off the road. My brother learned there and during other trips that many drivers absolutely hate 'cyclists and want them off the roads and will do all sorts of maneuvers with their own vehicles to intimidate (which can cause accidents).
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 13, 2009, 02:36 PM

I've heard (but honestly can't verify) that most crashes and injuries to bikers are not due to the biker's misjudgment, but rather is more often the fault of other motorists. Cars making left-hand turns and cutting the biker off is a very common occurrence, as it can be more difficult for motorists to judge the speed of an oncoming motorcycle than it is a car. So it doesn't matter how conscientious you are - what matters is how concscientious the driver of the 4000 pound car is.

But as for your question - I think it's been answered correctly. Your parents could probably be sued by the victim of an accident you cause (of course the same is true if you drive a car), and they probably feel a parental responsibility (if not a legal one) as long as you live in their house.

Apr 13, 2009, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I've heard (but honestly can't verify) that most crashes and injuries to bikers are not due to the biker's misjudgment, but rather is more often the fault of other motorists. Cars making left-hand turns and cutting the biker off is a very common occurence, as it can be more difficult for motorists to judge the speed of an oncoming motorcycle than it is a car. So it doesn't matter how conscientious you are - what matters is how concscientious the driver of the 4000 pound car is.

But as for your question - I think it's been answered correctly. Your parents could probably be sued by the victim of an accident you cause (of course the same is true if you drive a car), and they probably feel a parental responsibility (if not a legal one) as long as you live in their house.
    That's exactly what they're thinking ;)

I just wanted to resolve that one question I had before, me purchasing a bike is happening anyway. My father is completely fine with it, but mother is not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step parents and grand parents [ 2 Answers ]

are there any laws in pa say that stepparents nad grandparents have right to say what goes in my child's life ?

Calgary, AB - Is landlord responsible to pay out DD-Or Is ex-roommate responsible [ 18 Answers ]

Calgary, AB I have just recently moved out of a house I was living in with a couple roommates. I am having troubles getting my damage deposite back. I need to know if it is the responsibility of the landlord to pay me out, or if it is up to my roommates to pay me my portion? Will I...

Any responsible parents want to post? [ 3 Answers ]

This is a post by a young woman and I would like any input added to my posts on this subject. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/pregnancy-new-motherhood/tanf-how-do-apply-welfare-285769.html#post1397642

Are parents responsible for small claims lawsuit against 18 year old child? [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is being sued in small claims court in N.Y. The person that is suing her claims she damaged his car. Are the parents or the 18 year old daughter responsible for any judgment the plaintiff wins?

On Credit card with Parents- Parents Leaving me holding the bag [ 3 Answers ]

I got out of a bad relationship and my credit was bad... so my parents offered to take out some credit cards and also put me on some established ones... I am only on there as a signer, authorized user... I charged very little most of the charges were for a business my mom owns... they now have...

View more questions Search