Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Apr 10, 2009, 04:52 PM
    Why don't victims of famine escape to another country?
    I know that when a famine occurs, there are no food or very little food and people starve to death. I do have one question, let say that an area was in a famine, why don't people find ways to escape? Like going to another area/country?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2009, 05:19 PM

Part of it may be they don't want to leave their homes... perhaps where their families have lived for generations. It will also be an issue of how do they get somewhere else? How do they afford the costs of travel? By what means?

Lastly, how many countries do you know of that will welcome an influx of foreigners, with likely little means to support themselves, with open arms? Most countries would much rather send aid and humanitarian relief, if they can afford to in the first place, because most have an overburdened support system as it is... and issues with trying to help their own citizens in need... many of whom resent the support going to immigrants.
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 6, 2009, 12:50 PM

There is also the matter of money.

For instance if you are in Niger and you happen to go through a famine and you want to leave for US. 1 USD is like $140 so the hundred dollars it costs for the application is in USD that's a lot of cash.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Robbery Victims restitution [ 3 Answers ]

We were robbed over a year ago. The courts gave the perpetrators probation and they were ordered to each pay their share of the restitution. We have only received one small check from one of the young men. What are our rights, and didn't the sentence mean anything?? We were told that we could not...

Victims of (insert form of government here) [ 21 Answers ]

I hope to get a good discussion going here on this! I was searching through wikipedia, like you do, when I stumbled across this; Victims of Communism Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I've got to say, I'm pretty shocked! In my mind I see this as a bit of a 'look at us, we're...

How do we become victims [ 5 Answers ]

I am wondering how do we become victims in relationships and even in ourselves? Sometimes I feel I have been in this situation many times - am not sure if it is due to fear or I am allowing this for myself. I have been reading some threads and feel that I would like to know more on this subject...

View more questions Search