Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiger28 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2009, 10:14 AM
    Taxable and non-taxable income in 2008
    Hello,
    I have already asked this question, but I made a mistake, So here it is as it supposed to be:

Briefly my situation: I and my wife came to the USA in September, 2006. I have J1 visa- scholar (from the very beginning) and my wife J2, we are citizens of Poland. We have never left the USA since that moment, two years tax exemption passed in September, 2008. According to my calculation we pass the SPT.

1) So, I am going to file 1040 as resident alien jointly with my wife - Am I correct? :confused:

2) The problem is where should I put on tax form 1040 the non taxable income that I made before September in 2008. I was going to not include it anywhere, only joint (to tax refund form) a copy of my 1042-S showing this exempted income from federal tax - is it correct? :confused:

3) Am I eligible for Recovery Rebate on 2008 return. ($600) ? Even though I filed as non resident in 2007 (1040NR), Our non - taxable income: about $.25 000, and taxable (after September) $20 000 :confused:

Many thanks for your help, and for your time
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 12:05 PM
    1) You CAN file Form 1040, but must wait untl late May 2009 to file.

2) You do NOT add that income to your return, as it is tax-exempt. However, you DO need to submit Form 8833 to explain the tax treaty position that exempt that income from taxation.

3) If youe wife has a SSN, then you can get the RRC for $1,200. If not, then you cannot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Perdiem, travel and other expenses/taxable non taxable [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Here I will explain my situation and help me under stand about taxable non taxable items. 1. I am on H1B from a company based in Teaxas. But I do not live in Texas. My wife works in Michigan and I live in Michigan along with my wife. 2. My temporary company assignment is in Atlanta,...

Do those income count among my taxable income?-dual status [ 4 Answers ]

Please help, I am on dual status for 2008 tax purpose. I was on H1B and left US in April, 2008. My questions are: During my non-resident period of 2008, I only received interests from US saving account and dividends from US brokerage account(some of dividends distributed in my IRA and mutual...

L1 in US with family since September 2, 2008 - taxable marital status - single [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I came on L1 visa from India on September 2nd 2008, to IL state in USA. I came here along with my wife. In W2 and pay slips my marital status is shown as 'single'. 1. Can I file my tax return as Joint? Will I be eligible for any refunds from tax returns? What about tax already...

QUICKBOOKS Inventory Items taxable or non-taxable [ 0 Answers ]

I have Quick Books Basic. Our small business sells clothing. Recently moved from Pennsylvania (where clothing is a non-taxable item) to Washington (where clothing is a taxable item) So inventory items were all entered in Pennsylvania as non-taxable. And now that we are in Washington they ought...

Tax from taxable income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on F1 visa. Can anyone tell me what's the tax (line 15 in the 1040NR-EZ form) is my taxable income is $12875 (on line 14 in the 1040NR-EZ form). Second question is where do I need to file (i.e. send) the 1040NR-EZ form. Thanks a lot.

View more questions Search