Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pug001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 12:03 PM
    How to buy house that have back taxes in IL
    I rent a house in IL and the ower hasn't paid the propirty taxes on it for 2 years. I love my house and have asked to buy it from them, but they won't sell. So how do I go behind there back and buy the house. There not keeping it up anyway and there is no mortgage on it. :confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 12:43 PM

I am surprised the house has gone this long without the sheriff serving notice that it will be auctioned off for back taxes. There is no going behind their back if the house isn't for sale or up for auction. Check with the county assessors office to see if it is coming up soon or have the taxes been paid without you knowing. What county are you located?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2009, 12:59 PM

Forget about going behind their back. Ain't going to happen.

What I don't understand is why they don't want to sell.

You MAY be able to force the county to dun them for delinquent taxes, which may force their hand. But if you pay the taxes all you are doing is paying it for them.
    pug001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 09:52 AM

We have contacted the place that (sells) the taxes and they have been bought by two different people (Agencies) in the last 2 years. One company from CA and one local person in town. From what this Company is telling me it would be easier to let the Company in CA to get the deed and then try to buy the house from them. It is kind of family related situation which is never good to begin with, but it would be a shame to loose this house to an outside agency because the current owners have gambling problems.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 13, 2009, 10:49 AM

I don't quite understand this. I've never heard of someone "selling" the taxes. Its possible the property was auctioned in a tax sale but then why haven't whoever purchased the property been going after you to pay them rent or vacate?

You really need to dig deeper and find out who has title to the property and who is being sent the tax bills.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I just buy a house paying back taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

How do I just buy a house paying back taxes? What do I do to buy a house for just the back taxes?

How to buy a house on back taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to put a tax lien on a house the house has been empty for about 3 years and they owe 3 years back taxes and I was wanting to pay the back taxes.

Paying the Back Taxes on a house instead of buying it [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Tina from Missouri, My husband and I are looking to buy a house and I know there is a way that we can pay the back taxes on a house instead of the price they are selling it at. Where do I start, and what do I do. I have no clue where to look or who to talk to and if there are any...

View more questions Search