Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashshastry Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 05:55 PM
    w-7 form Submission (dates and deadlines)
    Hello,

I will be submitting a w-7 form shortly along with my tax returns. I know I am late but I need some advice in the following areas.

1) When I submit the w-7 form should I be sending only the federal ( 1040 A) form only
    And after I get the ITIN number then apply for the State tax refund with the ITIN.

OR

2) Should I send both the Federal and the State tax forms with the W-7 to address noted in the W-7 form.

If the 1st option of applying for the ITIN number with just the federal form is right , then should I apply for an extension for the state tax since it will take almost 3-4 weeks to get the ITIN number.

Please advice.

Thanks,
    Ashwin
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 06:09 PM

Normally state return is filed after you get ITIN so apply for extension. Check your state web site if it will allow you to file with ITIN applied.
    ashshastry Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Hello Mukta,

When you say that I have to apply for an extension, would be have to be for extension for state taxes or extension for Federal taxes.

Please advise.

Thanks,
    Ashwin
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 08:41 AM
    It depends on the state. Many states no longer HAVE an extension form, because they dd not require an extension to be filed, or they let you use th federal Form 4868.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income tax form submission [ 2 Answers ]

Is the 1041 Form Schedule K-1 actually supposed to be attached to the Federal Income Tax Return when filed, or merely retained within one's tax files?

Do doctors make mistakes about conception dates and due dates? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't understand, can doctors be wrong about conception dates and due dates?

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

View more questions Search