Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sugarbaire Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 12:46 PM
    401K withdrawal
    If I was laid off from my job and had a 401K that I am withdrawing in lump sum, I realize I have to pay 20% taxes, but will I be charged the 10% penalty? I am 58
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 01:13 PM

However, this additional tax will not apply if the payments are made after your separation from service in or after the year you reached age 55, or if the payments are part of a series of substantially equal payments that are paid over your life.read Your U.S. Tax Return: Elective Deferrals 401(k) Plans
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 02:08 PM

20% is the rate that taxes are automaticaly withhheld from your 401(k) distribution - your actual tax rate depends on your particular circumstance. Deending o nwhere you love you may also have state and/or local taxes as well. The good news is that you are not socked with the 10% early withdrawal penalty as long as you separated from service from the company that has your 401(k) at age 55 or later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I am now very worried about what additional payments/penalties I may owe at tax time for my 401K withdrawal. I lost my job last year and took out my 401K to support myself and my children. The taxable amount on the 1099-R I received says $25,520.29. It also says under federal income tax...

401K Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I need to withdraw my 401k and I have a loan attached to it. Can the provider deduct the loan and send the difference? I am aware of the penalties attached to early withdrawal. Thanks, FacMgr

401K withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband took an early withdraw from his 401K for personal reasons, they took only 10% taxes off before we received it, we claimed it on our 2005 tax return as income from the 1099R and paid an additional 10% tax, now we receive a notice telling us we should have paid an additional 10%? Also, is...

401k or ira withdrawal at age 55 [ 1 Answers ]

I accepted an early retirement package at age 53. I have a sizable 401k and company retirement account at the company which I worked at. Is there any way I can make a one time withdrawal from the 401k, or from an ira if I roll this monet over, before age 59 1/2 without a tax penalty?

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

View more questions Search