Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TQ79 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 09:37 AM
    old coin?
    Hey folks,

Was Spring cleaning our house and pulled this out of an old dusty crawl space in our attic. Assuming it was left behind with some of the other junk we found up there. I've never seen anything like it before and I'm not really sure what it is aside from being a quarter.

At any rate I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this coin, and perhaps it's value. My uncle is a collector he used to show us his coins growing up if it's a worthy find, I'd like to see if I can't clean it up and surprise him with it.

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2009, 12:40 PM

Hi, TQ79!

What you have there, is a Standing Liberty Quarter. I can't tell from the image, but is the year visible?

Thanks!
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 01:49 PM

It's a Standing Liberty Quarter Dollar (minted between 1916 and 1924)

Due to the fact it's in very bad condition and the date is completely worn off I can't offer any exact figure but it's value is most likely the value of the silver content so $1 or $2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_Liberty_Quarter

Apr 6, 2009, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, TQ79!

What you have there, is a Standing Liberty Quarter. I can't tell from the image, but is the year visible?

Thanks!

Between my husband and me we think it says 1925 for the year
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 09:22 PM

T q79 - this is a {standing liberty quarter}
    And from whati can make out ion it using a strong mag>glass: it looks like a 1924 or a 5
    And looking at the coin i can see that you have the }variety 2 ) because it has thr stars below the eagle:: variety ( 1 ) has no stars below the eagle:: these were minted in 1917 threw 1930) note -the pedestal was put on the coin in 1917- 1924 and then 1925 to 1930) the date that the date was ( recessed -was q1917 1924 :: recessed down into the metal) :: note -more history- this quarter was designed by { herman a. macnell] the left arm of liberty is raised up -uncovering a shield in the attitude of protection. Her right hand bears the olive branch of peace ::note -there was a modification in 1917 to cover liberty's exposed breast" THE BACK (REVERSE) SIDE HAS A NEW ARRANGEMENT OF THE STARSAND THE EAGLEIS HIGHER> THE MINT MARK IS ON THE TOP OF THE PEDESTAL ON THE LEFT END TOP><BY THE BOTTOM STAR:: IT WILL BE NO MINT MARK OR WILL HAVE A ( D ) OR ( S ) NOTE - VERY SERIOUS FACT- DO NOT CLEAN THE COIN <IT SHOULD BE DONE ONLY BY A PROF> THAT IS EXEPER> IO NDOING THIS ::{OTHERWISE IT WILL LOOSE A LOT OF ITS VALUE:: :: A COIN THAT HAS BEEN CLEANED BY SOMEONE THE GRADEING CO'S WILL NOT EVEN TOUCH THE COIN: I KNOW <I AM A MEMBER OF ( ANA) AND ( ANACS)!!!! NOTE - IF THIS COIN IS A 1925 to 1930 , THE DATE WILL BE RECESSED IN TO THE METAL INSTEAD OF RAISEDF ABOVE THE COINS BASE METAL>> ALSO WATCH FOR A 1918 "s" that one has a ( 8 - over the 7waiting for your reply so i can give you the honest answer you need :: have a great day and god bless:: f.b.e.

Apr 7, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Thanks for the response F.B.E.

As I'm totally clueless about coins I'm not really sure what I'm suppose to be looking for I'm going to post a new set of photo's below in higher resolution. After re-scanning the coin in 600 dpi res as opposed to the original pictures which were 150 dpi. I can definitely see it has 1925 on it for a date. And a little "M" to the right and above the date. I'm not sure if the new photos will help or not, but hopefully they will because I really have no clue about this type of thing.

Thank you again in advance - TQ

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 10:06 PM

Thanks for posting the larger images, TQ79! They're great!
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 11:29 PM

tq79 - this is a great picture of the coin <good job <and as clough said thanks a lot for posting it :: now to get to the coin and your question:: #1 - as i said in my last post - do not try cleaning itit will loose value:: the date is 1925- and the letter "M" that you posted is the "inital of the designer- hermon a macnell::'' on the 1925 you will not find a mint mark< there was none put on them :: note - as to the condition and grade of this coin < as to what i can see it will most likely fall as a { g-4 grade ) in the coin book _ that grade is g-4 $ 3.00;} grade vg-8 is $5.00} requirements for this grade is _per out of the 2009- red book on usa coins is as follows- distinct date:: toes faintly visible : drapery lines visible above libertys left leg } ps this is a variety -2 coin :: i hope this has answered your questions : if i can help any more just come on this post and just holler :: have a great day and god bless:: please rate my answer in the orange box below :: f.b.e.

Apr 10, 2009, 12:02 PM

To bring a close to this little thread. I'd like to Thank everyone who responded Flying Blue Eagle especially. I'm no coin collector or expert, and as I had mentioned in my original question, it was just a coin I had found spring cleaning in my house. I appreciate everybody's advice and comments about the coin in question.

As per F.B.E.'s advice I won't be cleaning the coin myself. I will however see if it is in fact something my uncle is interested in for his collection, if not perhaps keep it as a little keepsake for my son when he gets older.

Thank You again - TQ
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 08:00 PM

TQ79 - thank you for the commints ; I was more then happy to help you out ; I really enjoy this hobby ; you will learn every day something new ;; I do hope you will save the coin for your son ; I started coin collecting when I was 7 years old and it has been a learning and satifing time;; I was asked last year why do some people collect coinsd -paper money, what do they get out of it :: Part of my sanswer was - when I pick up say acoin that is pretty old , I look at the coin and I start to wonder ,who has held this coin back then , where all has it been and was it in some confederate generals or a conferederate soldiers pocket and hand ,or was this coin in general WASHINGTONS POCKET ;; ONER OF MY COINS IS 1739; KIKNG GEORGE THE 2ND, A furrthing , about the size of our old half dollor, it took 4 of them to make {ONE British PENNY } , I have a couple coins out of ship wreacks that was recovered, one of the first { new YORK PENMNYS :: } BUT AS I SAID YOU TAKE THE OLD COIN OR PIECE OF PAPER CURRENCY AND DO AS I DO < LET YOUR MIND WONDER BACK TO THEN :: YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN :{ HISTORY}, I hope this finds you and yours OK , Have a great day tomorrow and GOD BLESS :: FG.B.E.

Apr 14, 2009, 10:21 AM

F.B.E. - I never thought of it like that. It's definitely something I will try with my son. He only just turned 7 this past March, and money with him is something that he takes to toys 'r us usually. Might be something I can get him interested in long term, as you mentioned the history of the coins in general sounds very rewarding, when researching and finding such things. The coin we found could be his first, and maybe down the line I can pass on the proof set my uncle gave me as a kid. He used to do that for all his nieces and nephews, purchasing a proof set of the year we were born. I never thought much about it till now. :) Thank you again for your comments and the idea about getting my son into collecting - TQ79
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 07:42 PM

Tq79 - i didn't mention that i have gotten three proff sets every year for several years <one set for each of our kids< i alsio have the set for their birth year { was hard to find on the first two {born 1959 & 60 - and last one 69you have a good idea about how to get your son interested in coin collecting < good luck and god bless ::f.b.e.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coin value [ 3 Answers ]

What is the value if any for a 1951 wheatback penny?

Old coin [ 3 Answers ]

How much would an 1899 quarter be worth?

Value of a coin [ 2 Answers ]

I have a coin that appears to be silver, the size of a siver dollar. On one side of the coin it says, " Mayflower '70 " on the bottom," 1620-1970" and profile of a boat on the reverse side, there are 2 winged houses holding a family crest with a ribbon banner under it saying "Ged Be Ovr Friend" ....

F-16 coin [ 2 Answers ]

My dad(before he died) was given a coin with the f-16 fighting falcon on one side and the seal of the Republic of The Marshall islands on the reverse. Its says 5 dollars on the front and back and was made in 1995. I am looking for anyone who knows anything about this coin and/or its real worth.

Old Coin [ 5 Answers ]

I have come across many old coins and some old bills. I was wondering what a 1945 and a 1941 Lincoln Penny might be worth, if anything. This is my first time using this service, if more detail is needed let me know.

View more questions Search