Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ikyo Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 08:01 PM
    Judgment on Co-Borrower
    My father is willing to help my fiancée and I get a new home. The only issue is he has a judgment on his credit report. The judgement is for an unpaid credit card back in 2003. We contacted the court house and got the information on the debt. It was filed as a chapter 61 collection. They haven't touched the judgment since it was filed. We called the original creditor and were told it was charged off and sold.

Should this effect him helping us get a home? We have heard different stories saying it shouldn't and some saying it will. We are okay with trying to pay it off, but can't find out who owns the current debt.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 08:49 PM

With a judgement on his creidt report, I doubt his credit is good enough to really be any help

Apr 5, 2009, 05:17 AM
    Actually just the opposite, his credit is more then high enough to help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 5, 2009, 05:53 AM

It depends on what help you want. If his credit score is high enough and the lenders will approve the loan with him as cosigner, then it will help.

If he score is not high enough, then he could still help by loaning you money for a down payment and you can enter a separate agreement to repay him.

Apr 5, 2009, 05:58 AM

His credit score is high enough and they have approved it. We are just wondering about the judgement.

Apr 5, 2009, 06:02 AM

If the lender approved it, then why is there a question?

Apr 5, 2009, 06:04 AM

There is a question regarding how to handle the judgment.

Apr 5, 2009, 06:07 AM
    That wasn't your question. Your question was whether it would affect his helping purchase the home. Since the lender has approved it then you already had your answer.

If you want to know how to clear the judgement, that's a different question for a different forum (like Bankruptcy & Debt or Credit).

Apr 5, 2009, 06:19 AM

I have made a post there regarding this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Borrower has two alternatives for loans [ 2 Answers ]

A borrower has two alternatives for a loan (1) issue a $90,000, 90-day, 6% note or (2) issue a $90,000, 90-day note that the creditor discounts at 6% a. Calculate the amount of the interest expense for each option b. determine the proceeds by the borrower in each situation c. which alternative...

Co-borrower and deed/title [ 1 Answers ]

Does a co-borrower always have to go on tile/deed?

Borrower vs co-borrower [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between a borrower and a co-borrower? What constitutes a co-borrower?

Pay off mortgage, absent co-borrower [ 4 Answers ]

When I got my mortgage 16 years ago I had a friend co-sign, he was the primary borrower, I had no credit history at the time. I have made all payments, he is in& out of jail, I don't know where he is. I did get a quit claim in 2001 from him, he is still on the mortgage. I am going to pay off loan...

Judgement against the Co-borrower [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a pending judgement against him in Charles county, md for the balance of a voluntary repossession of his vehicle. The balance was 7k now with interest and penalties and court cost it is 15k. We have a house and I am the primary owner and he is the co owner. When they place this...

View more questions Search