Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 03:34 AM
    Obama's single-handed saving of G-20 meeting
    This is what passes as news reporting these days :

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/politics/story/65353.html

The G-20 economic summit reached a final agreement to restore the world's economy Thursday only after President Barack Obama personally intervened and negotiated a compromise between France and China, White House officials said.
    (got that ? the meeting was on the verge of collapes until the community organizer in chief took matters into his hands)

It was a remarkable stroke of personal diplomacy by a new president who's making his debut this week on the world stage.

The pact calls for added spending to stimulate growth, new regulation over all "systemically important" financial institutions including hedge funds, $1 trillion for the International Monetary Fund and an effort to list tax havens, as a way to "name and shame" them into becoming more transparent and cooperating with international rules.

Heading into the summit's final hours, however, it appeared that the group would fail to reach a consensus, as French President Nicolas Sarkozy pushed to have the G-20 spotlight offending tax havens based on a list published Thursday by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, and China objected, largely because it doesn't belong to the OECD.

That was when Obama, long a champion of ending or curbing tax havens, decided to float a compromise and pulled Sarkozy aside, according to a senior White House official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity as a matter of policy.
    ( a probing report by Steven Thomma who seems to be using unnamed White House officials as his sole source for this pablum !!!!!)

"The president thought he could be helpful in resolving the differences," the official said.
    Obama proposed that the G-20 merely "take note" of the OECD list, thus opening the door to implicit but not direct endorsement of that list.
    (what a brilliant idea!!!! he is a diplomat for the ages !!!!)

"He sent a message to the Chinese. They were considering it (Obama's message) for some time," the official said.
    Obama then met with Chinese President Hu Jintao and Sarkozy in a corner of the summit meeting room, as the other world leaders waited.
    (with baited breath no doubt)

Upon the trio's reaching agreement, the G-20 summit then agreed to note the list of tax havens.
    Sarkozy, who'd threatened days earlier to walk out of the summit if he didn't get his way, said the final agreement represented "great progress."
    This is what passes as responsible journalism these days . Sarkozy would've walked out over the difference between naming the list and noting the list?? Give me a break!!

I bet the Chinese and French are thrilled that the US press is making them props for the legend of Obama .
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2009, 04:01 AM
    Yup it's true:
    Sources: Obama Plays Peacemaker in French-Chinese Smackdown Over Tax Havens - Political Punch
    Sources: Obama Plays Peacemaker in French-Chinese Smackdown Over Tax Havens
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2009, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    This is what passes as responsible journalism these days . Sarkozy would've walked out over the difference between naming the list and noting the list ???????? Give me a break!!!
    Hello tom:

Yeah. I want the STRAIGHT stuff, so I'll be watching Beck from now on (snicker, guffaw).

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2009, 09:52 AM

ROTFLMAO! Sure, he's the great weiner. Hey, got to love someone who's going to dump a few Trillion Dollars into the "3rd World". Hey, those media whores will say just about anything these days in defense of the Loser. I'm sure they're going to come up with more drivel how Michelle Obama is the next Jackie Kennedy. She has the fashion sense of a serious KMart or WalMart shopper. Now I thought that was more than a stretch of the imagination to compare her to a woman with style and class. Yep, the media whores are really out in full force these days spinning yarns of ridiculous material only sheeple would love. The Ipod to the Queen of England was worse than just a gaf, it was plain stupidity on their part. I'm sure the Ipod got tossed less than 5 minutes after the Bobsey twins left the palace. From the Queen's body language when they were leaving I could easily discern that she was far from impressed with America's newest Bozo in Chief. Plus you do not touch Her Majesty - let alone hug her as Michelle Faux Pax did. Doesn't anyone clue these two morons in ahead of time what the proper protocol is when dealing with other countries' dignataries or Queens or Kings? Bowing to the Saudi King was worse than WRONG, it showed America just who Obama is cowtowing to now. No President of the US is supposed to bow to any King. Guess no one clued in Mr. Clueless.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/9937

Take a look at the video on this site showing Bammy nodding to the Queen of England and then giving a deep bow of respect to the Saudi King. Positively revolting if you ask me. Thanks Canada for the true reporting on him. Lord knows we won't get anything near the truth reported here in the US about King Bamma and Queen Moron.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 12:50 PM

NK did you read who the source was for the ABC report ?

The senior adminstration official said that Mr. Obama pulled Mr. Sarkozy aside, took him to a corner, "and discussed possible alternatives," the senior official said.

The Obama administration official described this compromise as a "meeting in the middle."

Now give me a break. Would you have given a positive spin on a Bush adm. Story if the sole source was a Bush insider ? Why should I give a pass then to this type of slant ?

Ex ;can't say... I've never seen Beck but I hear he is a commentator and not a news journalist.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Ex ;can't say... I've never seen Beck but I hear he is a commentator and not a news journalist.
    These guys all assume we're spoon-fed by Fox News or Rush Limbaugh.

This is is what passes for journalism ABC style:

“other heads of state are seemingly trying to get close to the head of the class, or the cool kid in the class, if you will, President Obama.”

NBC style:

America's unofficial royalty, the President and First Lady, reconnected tonight for more ceremonial duties, including a private audience with actual royalty, the Queen herself.”

CBS style:

"I mean, there's a kind of just raw realness about her. That session with the schoolgirls yesterday... People were in tears."
    "Michelle is so authentic, and so real, and so today, and so, you know, J. Crew, and the whole price point thing and not designer clothes.. With Michelle, you can almost feel those warm arms. You know, there's a kind of real red-blooded feel to her. But there's also -- I mean she's almost like overtaking Oprah, I think, as the kind of inspirational 'it' girl at this point."
    MSNBC Style:

I think the fact that he's just been greeted like such a hero overseas... and I think that that press conference will probably get a pretty good reception." O’Donnell agreed: "You're right, it was sort of like rock star treatment... I mean, you could even see it from some of the international press there at that press conference that we just watched for the past hour... Of course, there was the Obama-mania out there... "
    "Oh, I think that the campaign through now, it's all been a clean break... Norah, as you well know, Obama could have gone and sat in his hotel room and listened to his ipod and he still would have been greeted with more cheer in Europe than President Bush would. So that's not a hard hurdle to clear. Because Bush was so unpopular overseas and Obama is a rock star overseas, in some places even more so than here. So that part was an easy slam dunk for him."
    And of course Chris Matthews style:

You know you could tell like they were experiencing the-, the, I'm getting old here. The grooviness, the excitement of being this First American Couple heading towards Marine One, which is cool in itself, heading from there to Air Force One, to a quick flight across the Atlantic, on your own plane. And to meet with the world leaders as like the centerpiece of the world. What? I get-, I'm saying it again, I'm getting a thrill.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2009, 01:00 PM

Hello again:

You convinced me. I'm going to get my news here from now on: indieTV.tv - Independent Television - Orion Spacecraft Unveiled! gnooze April 1, 2009

excon
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 01:45 PM
    You can do better than that, ex. I'd suggest Free Speech TV, or better yet... The Onion.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 04:25 PM

So you have a problem with this being news but no problem with the hullabaloo you guys want to make over a bow?

Weird...

From the reports I've read from around the world the G20 summit was a considered a success by all parties and Obama was the star. You guys should be proud that you're returning to the leadership role the world has wanted from you. Not what we've had the previous 8 years.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 08:29 PM
    Skell, this is about the media. For all the complaints over the media coverage of Bush all we heard was how an adversarial press was necessary to keep the government in check. Now, anyone in the media critical of the government is scum. How did that change overnight? Is it a good thing the media is so obviously in the tank for Obama, or do we still need an adversarial press?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asthma and being left handed? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys. I'm Erica, and I'm new to this site and have a question to post. Sorry if it's been posted before! I've heard that people can apply for scholarships for more than just being the football star or being an expert trombone player in their high school marching band. I've heard people can...

Meeting single women [ 1 Answers ]

I don't understand why women complain about the lack of single men. I find the opposite is true for me. I live in a small town and I find there are very few prospects for a single man approaching 30. Women usually leave town after high school and the few who stay tend to be married by 18 or 19,...

Guarding the Left Handed [ 2 Answers ]

Ok all you basketball studs I have got one and one question only, HOW DO YOU GUARD A SOUTH PAW (Left handers) Me and my arch enemy go at it through out the whole year I win a few and he wins a few, I have a better shot then he does, I just can't guard his left hand. I'm a great shot blocker, but I...

View more questions Search