Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honkesk Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Wiring outdoor outlets
    I want to put in two outdoor outlets on my cabin. One on each end. 36 feet. The panel is one one end. From the one outlet to the other end I am going to drill holes in the floor joists. The cabin is off the ground three feet. It will be skirted.
    The question is... can I use NM cable or should I use UF?
    Thanks
    Ron
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2009, 03:17 AM
    Good question.

While most would look at it and assume NM, I am sure the underneath of the cabin could be subjected to the elements, and technically could be considered as a wet or damp location, in which case NM is prohibited, and UF is in order.

It all revolves around whether under the cabin is a damp or dry location.

Another thing to consider is vermin. If rodents could get in, they may chew any nonmetallic cable. Consider using metal MC cable, offers physical protection and is rated for wet locations.
    honkesk Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2009, 04:28 PM

This is the first time I have used "ask me"... when you see it in writing it makes so much sense. I appreciate it and will use MC, just another thing I won't have to worry about.
    Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 08:54 AM

TK's advice is sound but you really should also check the local building codes in your area. I know the ins and outs of cabins and if mice are a problem there are far more inside your walls than climbing around on the underside of your floor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor outlets [ 12 Answers ]

I'm adding a workbench with outlets outside and would like to know if the plan I've come up with would work.I will be starting from the breaker box with two 20amp breakers. The first 20amp breaker will be hardwired to my air compressor onlly The second 20amp breaker would wire into a ( GFIC...

Wiring Outlets to GFCI [ 13 Answers ]

I need to run 2, 20 amp, 240 VAC outlets. I already have a 50 amp GFCI. How can I safely run 2, 20 amp receptacles off this breaker? One option is to buy 2, 20 amp, 240 VAC, GFCI's. Not really what I want to do. These things are expensive, Another option is to wire 2, 50 amp receptacles, but...

Outdoor Electrical Recptical Box and Outlets [ 4 Answers ]

I'm currently constructing a new garage and I'm at the phase where the framing is complete. The stucco will be going on soon but before that I would like to have all the exterior electrical receptacles, switches and lights installed. My question is, are there specific electrical boxes that...

Wiring outlets, and grounding [ 4 Answers ]

I just read where one of you told someone, the black wire goes on the screw with the longer opening and white opposite, Ie, Then I saw this following statement from an electrician All white wires are connected to the side with a silvery color and the black wires to the brassy terminals. ...

Outdoor outlets not working. HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Here's my dilemma: I have 3 ooutdoor outlets along the back of my property. As far as I know all have worked up until this morning. There was a terrible storm yesterday where flooding, high wind and long periods of down pours were present; now none of the electrical outlets are working. I...

View more questions Search