Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daleap Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2006, 12:09 PM
    Pressure washer
    Does anybody know how to adjust the pressure regulator oin 2600psi troy bilt?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 8, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Ok, first you don't ever want to start adjusting a pressure regulator on any pressure washer unless you have a pressure gauge on it. When you do the adjustments not only do you adjust the water pressure but also the back pressure when the trigger gun is not in use. You can destroy a unloader in a matter of hours with excessive back pressure.

Not knowing your exact pressure washer, most regulators have a large spring on it, with a knob or screw on the end, the pressure is adjusted by slight turning to cause the spring to tighten or loosen.

Also remember that a 2600 PSI pressure washer new from the box may not actually put out 2600, this is an @ figure, they can range up or down about 200 PSI and still be considered in range.

Also you can change the pressure of the water by different size tips, I don't mean red, yellow and green, that is only the angle of the spray, but all tips have sizes, if you go up or down a 1/2 size in the tip you can get several hundred more or less pounds pressure by merely changing tips. Tips should be replaced often on heavy used equipment, most professions will change their tips every couple months.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Nov 1, 2006, 08:37 AM
    A pressure regulator is actually controlling flow. By increasing the spring tension you are forcing more water out of the nozzle and less into bypass. At some point you reach maximum flow (pressure) and tightening the knob does nothing.
    To answer the question.. . Tighten the adjustment spring while your trigger is squeezed and you will feel the increase. Listen to your engine to make sure you don't run out of HP.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2006, 11:13 AM
    Please be very very careful if you merely "tighten down the spring"

If and when you release the trigger gun, you can get too much back pressure and destroy the seals in your pump. The back pressure is greater than the output pressure by a percentage at proper pressure, but as you tighten the spring the back pressure increases greater than the output pressure.

While it may not destroy the seals at one moment, it will shorten their life greatly. That is why you see a lot of home units, with water often coming out of the pressure relief.

And using the correct tip can change pressue by several hundred pounds very easily.
    yupwhynot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 10:52 PM
    Nitrous...
    mzyla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2013, 04:54 AM
    I have a Husqvarna 3300 Pressure Washer. I want to lower the overall pressure of the machine for minor cleaning jobs. How do you adjust the pressure regulator? The plastic knob to adjust the pressure will not turn. I assume the pressure regulator is set at the maximum, but how do I turn it down? Does the machine have to be running to do so? It is almost like the company made it to where it is unadjustable, even though it is supposed to be adjustable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer machine drainage pressure causing leak further down drainpipe? [ 4 Answers ]

The sink and washer drain pipes were rerouted from their original location and I believe it may have sprung a leak behind the wall. The sink has not been connected yet so I can't comment on regular drainage. I've used my washer/dryer a few times already and sometimes the water drains fine, and...

Pressure/bladder tank losing pressure? [ 11 Answers ]

Well, I have asked some questions about my plumbing before. So I am calling on you guys once again. I have a 52 gallon pressure tank/bladder tank made by wellsaver. I turn the water on and have good pressure for a few minutes then it basically goes dead with no pressure. I recently posted questions...

Cold water pressure in shower and washer only [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, As the subject says, I have a huge loss of cold water pressure in my upstairs shower and my downstairs washing machine only. The upstairs and downstairs sinks are all fine (including the sink directly next to the shower in the upstairs bathroom). Taking the shower head off doesn't make a...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

What should water pressure be for washer? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my washer started "leaking". The repair guy said was from too low water pressure or flow into that "cup" in the washer the water "jets" into (that "cup" is required by law for some reason). Anyway, I'm on a well. I have a water pressure of about 29 to 32 psi (it was higher I think... I'm going...

View more questions Search