Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    batoutohell Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 12:55 PM
    Interlock driveway
    I am thinking of putting in an interlock driveway, right now it is just gravel. I am thinking about doing the work myself this summer, but need to know about the base that I would need.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 03:27 PM

The specs should be set form the manufacture on stone/crushed stone/ etc.

I can post a couple of scenarios and need to know the lay of the land here. What about height restrictions you have there?

Also what Kind of stone is there now and how thick?
    batoutohell Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 04:23 AM
    The driveway is level with the road and front lawn. It is an old driveway without much gravel... I don't think there ever was much gravel, they just started parking their cars on that spot. It is about 25 feet wide and 40 feet long. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    John
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 02:40 PM

You are going to have to excavate that area to get a proper stone base. Specs for a driveway is 6" of 2a modified stone to support a car. I put in 8" of stone to get a strong base. When I compact that I can run my Big dumps with a load of stone and it holds. The stone must be compacted with a vibrating roller or a mechanical tamper.

At perfecting placing of stone you will need 33 tons. I usually lay out the brick 1 1/2" above finish grade. You will need to check the manufacturing specs on what the thickness of the base under the stone itself. Some are set in quarry dust and some in concrete sand.

The trucking here will be expensive. If you can find a place for the excavator to dump his dirt closer to you then a big savings can occur.

Dirt is about 100 lb to 125 lb hard compacted a cubic foot.
    A cubic yard of dirt ways 2,700 lb to 3,375 lb a cubic yard. That will give you and Idea in trucking 25+ yards

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pa's interlock system [ 33 Answers ]

Is there any way to get around having this special license for a year? My court sentence has been completed. Pa. still will punish me further, how can this be?

Should I resurface my asphalt driveway or get a complete new asphalt driveway [ 3 Answers ]

My asphalt driveway looks so bad that my insurance company has considered it a serious hazard. Do I resurface the existing driveway. I have a contractor telling me that he would level the existing driveway and place a 2 inch top coat of asphalt on top. Will a resurface last just as long as a...

Interlock violation [ 2 Answers ]

I was put on probation in hamilton county for a high tier dui I received an interlock device and the yellow tags to go with it. I drank one night and blew dirty and I am now facing a violation of probation. I have sinced quit my job as I worked as a stripper which lead me to drink in the first...

Interlock Devise Probation Law [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: I just had a Inerlock devise insalled (NM Probation Office). I was ordered to not have any alcohol. I use mouth wash first thing in the morning. One hour later I blow just fine to start the vehicle. On a Sunday afternoon (3pm) I was running late for a volleyball tourny. Swished, attempted to...

Clutch Interlock [ 1 Answers ]

The ignition switch on my 2000 Ford Focus would not turn. I had to have it replaced. One year later it is periodically having the same problem, but I keep a very small hammer in the car, and all it takes is a couple of taps on the key for me to be able to turn the key. BUT... now it seems that...

View more questions Search