Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dskj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2006, 04:47 PM
    Retirement investment question
    My spouse and I are doing some retirement planning and we need to compare the financial difference between drawing out payments from one of the following two investment scenarios.

1. Investing a lump sum $400,000 into a conservative retirement portfolio at age 65 and drawing off the investment for retirement income ($'s would be from the sale of a cabin property). Vs. 2. Drawing off retirement income from a Roth IRA that has grown to $400,000 by age 65.

Questions:
    1. What is a realistic rate of return I can expect from the lump some invested at age 65?
    2. What are the differences between the taxes I will face when I go to draw off retirement income from the two investments?
    3. What are the different annual tax implications for each investment?
    4. What is the best type of investment for the lump sum scenario that minimizes tax losses yet allows me to draw out retirement income.
    5. Will you please include any estimates of likely tax rates I will face or the percentage of investment returns I should forecast for either scenario?

6. One final question: We can lock in a rate of return at 6% (guaranteed) for 30 yrs and the annual amount invested stays within the fixed assets portion of our retirement investment portfolio. Is this a fair /good deal or should we invest in something else to meet this fixed assets portion of my portfolio?

Thanks for your help on this,
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2006, 08:28 PM
    Go to... hugh chou.com... web sight lot of good info on that kind of stuff.. I am [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Force Retirement question [ 4 Answers ]

Is there an addendum for a spouse drawing retirement after a divorce? After re-marriage? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, keenu

Investment [ 5 Answers ]

A company invests $100 into an account to earn interest. How would I show this on the balance sheet? (I debited the asset, "Short-term investment", and credited "Owner's Equity") I would like to know, specifically, what account in Owner's Equity am I crediting?

Investment in IT... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all. Can you answer a newbie - what is it? Simple bying software or something more? I do not mean creating my own IT-company :rolleyes:

View more questions Search