Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandsoppa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Metal sealant around shower drain
    I need to remove an old shower drain, The outside of the drain is sealed with some metal stuff like lead. What is the way to remove them?
    Thanks
    Sand
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 29, 2009, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsoppa View Post
    I need to remove an old shower drain, The outside of the drain is sealed with some metal stuff like lead. What is the way to remove them?
    thanks
    sand
    Would this be a caulk on shower drain , (see image)that has a ring of lead just under the strainer? Back to you, Tom
    Attached Images

sandsoppa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Would this be a caulk on shower drain , (see image)that has a ring of lead just under the strainer? Back to you, Tom
    Hi Tom,
    There is no ring. The sealant is outside a drain directly going down to "U" tube. The sealant fills an about inch gap between the drain and a copper bracket. The bracket is used to form a hole of the shower concrete floor (1960 house). I can dig a small ditch with a sharp point steel probe on the material.
    Can I paste a picture? I tried, it asked for a USL address. I have no clue what to do.
    Thanks,
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 29, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Looks like a lead and oakum joint to me. To remove a poured lead and oakum joint take a 3/8" drill bit and drill a few holes down past the lead and into the oakum.. Push a screwdriver under the lead ring and lever it up. Once it's free you can began to peel the lead ring out. Now pick out the oakum and you can pull the joint apart. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for METAL sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

We are doing a remodel for a customer and she wants a new bathroom sink drain that is not plastic, she wants it to feel substantial like brass, the finish needs to be shiny brass. Does anyone have a lead or idea of where I can find this, as far as I can tell all the manufacturers have gone to...

Shower Sealant [ 8 Answers ]

I have a gorgeous shower unit that looks awful because the sealant has turned black. I will have to remove this and reapply some more. Hopefully this won't happen again. I live in a hard water area and the water is full of lime. Any tips on how to remove the sealant without scratching the...

70's metal shower drain flange [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am remodeling the master bath. The house was built in '71. We have removed the entire shower and are down to studs and cement. The shower drain appears to have some sort of iron flange on it. We need to remove this in order to move the drain over 1.5 inches. We need to move it because...

Replacing old metal shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how I can replace an old galvanized metal shower drain or where to get metal shower drains (everything is PVC these days). I am replacing the tile in my stand up shower, but I need to raise the drain about .5” to accommodate the new tile. The drain pipe is a 1.5” metal pipe...

View more questions Search