Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GreyGHOST Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 01:21 PM
    Riding lawn mower stalls
    I have a new Craftsman model 917.28033 30" riding lawn mower. When I try to engage the blades the engine slows and stalls. I have tried engaging at full throttle while driving, and with the parking brake on at high throttle. I know it is something that I'm over looking. It was just delivered and I have tried reading the owners manual but still no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 02:45 PM

Is this a new mower? Just delivered could have meant from a repair shop? Need to check here

Did you engage the mower deck slowly?

Mar 27, 2009, 03:32 PM

Yes thanks for responding. It's new, delivered Wednesday. I did try to engage slowly, but it still stalls. I just got it up on some ramps and I noticed the blade is rather tight if I try to spin it with the clutch disengaged. I may go down to Sears again and check the blade on the floor model to see if it this tight.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2009, 07:52 PM

How about one of those funky safety switches.

Read the manual and see where they are. Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com should have an exploded view.

Mar 29, 2009, 09:34 AM

Thanks to all. I found that the rear bagger has a safety switch and with the bad attached it was still not make contact. I added quarter inch piece of rubber to the bagger attachment and it works now. I need to get a permanent fix now.
    Thanks again,
    GreyGHOST
    aacodue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 08:52 AM
    Hi,

I had the same problem with the engine stalling when the attachment clutch lever was engaged (new as delivered). I had to adjust the clutch cable bracket, "L" on page 24 of the manual. I loosened the attachment bolt, moved the bracket 1/4 inch toward the outer edge of the mower deck and tightened the bolt. The clutch then moved away from the blade drive pulley when the attachment clutch lever was engaged and allowed the blade to rotate.

Aacodude

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman riding mower stalls on turns [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Craftsmen riding mower about 6 years old on tight turns it backfires and sputters, almost stalling. It sometimes does the same on unlevel ground. It continued to do this even after I changed the plug and fuel filter. I just find it odd that turning the wheel tight would cause this to...

Lawn chief riding lawn mower forward and reverse [ 4 Answers ]

The lawn mower will not go forward or reverse, What should I check to fix this problem?

Riding lawn mower stalls when engaging drive [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a used 8 year old 13 1/2 HP (B/S engine) 42" riding mower. It ran fine for one day. Now it will not allow me to release the brake pedal to engage drive without stalling out. I figure its something simple. Any help would be great! :mad:

12.5 hp B&S riding mower stalls under load [ 2 Answers ]

I am a novice mechanic. My 12.5 b&s (Murray) was leaking fuel from the carb. I put in overhaul kit for Nikki carb. Solved fuel leak. Now mower only runs when holding in clutch. Engine stalls when release clutch to engage drive belt. Thanks for your input.

View more questions Search