Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rodlee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Dielectric union
    A hot water heater has gav. Nibbles how long will a copper fitting last hook to is and how long will a dielectric union last how long have the dielectric union been out or made?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 26, 2009, 04:59 PM

Depends on a lot of things. Truth be told, a galv to copper fitting will most likely last longer than your water heater ever will. I have replaced 35 year old water heaters that had no dialectric unions, and the pipe fitting was still in great shape. The nice thing about dialectrics, is it gives you not only security of separation of dissimual metals, but it also give you a breakable union for repair or replacement of water heater.(even though, by the time your water heater goes bad, you can bet that the height of new water heater will have changed, so you will have to cut the dialectric out and start over again anyway.) Please let me know if this helps.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 26, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Hello rodlee

I thought that the dielectric union was specially made to prevent deterioration and material loss when coupling different metals together.

Note : updated Link to data on dielectric union specifications
    rodlee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 05:38 PM
    Will I put in a 50 gl. Water heater nine year ago for a man and is started to leak and now he say is my falut and trying to sue me at that time I use 3/4 copper with a rubber gastet and copper unions. Nine years ago I never hear of dielectric nibble. That why I ask if anyone knew how long they been made
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 26, 2009, 05:58 PM

I believe this would be a warranty issue. The warranty is most likely up on the water heater. I really don't think he has a leg to stand on with his lawsuit. This sounds like an trying to get something for free, and probably more, like water damage etc. All I can say, is you best look in your code book and see if you installed this water heater to code. And in the end(once it comes to this point) the man with the better lawyer wins. Hard to believe that someone would sue for a water heater leak, it will cost both of you more money than its worth. By the time the trials over, he could have purchased 5 water heaters.

Fact is, whether you use dialectrics or not, a water heater will eventually leak.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 07:23 PM

You ask how long dialectric unions have been made, I know that they have been made since the 1940's.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    I believe this would be a warranty issue. the warranty is most likely up on the water heater. I really dont think he has a leg to stand on with his lawsuit. This sounds like an trying to get something for free, and probably more, like water damage etc. All i can say, is you best look in your code book and see if you installed this water heater to code. And in the end(once it comes to this point) the man with the better lawyer wins. Hard to believe that someone would sue for a water heater leak, it will cost both of you more money than its worth. By the time the trials over, he could have purchased 5 water heaters.

Fact is, whether you use dialectrics or not, a water heater will eventually leak.
    I see lawsuits like this all the time and they most always deal with the issue of code compliance.

All of the adopted Plumbing Codes in the US (IPC, SPC, UPC etc.. . ) specifically address the issue of joining dissimilar metals.

If the installation went against the prevailing code, then the installers usual one year warranty is voided and the lawsuit is allowed to go forward -- Usually pursued on the behalf of the homeowner by the homeowners insurance company.
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 27, 2009, 02:05 PM

Growler, very good answer. I now agree. There is a reason we are required to study for years and test in the end, mostly on code. Had the installer known the code, he would have known about dielectrics. Take care all, and good luck rodlee. I hate to see a nine year old job come back and bite someone, so I am rooting for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is brass an alternative to dielectric union?! [ 8 Answers ]

Good morning speedball, I am very clear on the theory of electrolysis and such between dissimiliar metals in solutions. But I have read that one can use brass fittings in leiu of a dielectric device. I find that hard to be true. Brass may have properties which can slightly negate the battery...

Dielectric Union Leak [ 10 Answers ]

Hello - I've just installed a new hot water tank, and have two leaks. Each leak is at the dielectric unions. The leaks are very slow. I even took the union apart, cleaned the thread, re-applied the teflon tape and put them back together. I have the same slow drip, on both the hot and the cold...

Dielectric union / reducer [ 5 Answers ]

Are there dielectric unions that also act as a reducer?

Dielectric Union [ 4 Answers ]

What is the estimated cost of putting in a dielectric union in a crawl space with about three feet of clearance between a copper/galvanized joint from a licensed plumber? Thanks! Hammer

Speedball1 >> Dielectric union question [ 4 Answers ]

Have connected a galvanized 3/4" water pipe to a copper fitting inside a wall and wondered how important is it that these are separated by a brass type fitting or union? OK to use a union inside an outside wall? Thanks, Flickit

View more questions Search