Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    einna64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Electron configuration and periodic properties
    Describe the change in the atomic radii for the elements in period 2 from lithium to neon
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2009, 02:46 PM

Group 2 doesn't go from Lithium to Neon. It goes (Hydrogen), Lithium, Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium, Cesium, Francium. But, I guess that's not what you're trying to say. In any case, The atomic radius increases going down a group in the periodic table (in general)

If you're talking about a row across the period table (I guess that's what a period is), it's a bit more complicated. In general, the shell gets filled and it gets smaller to Fluorine, but Neon is much larger -- probably as large as Lithium or larger. See here:

http://www.camsoft.co.kr/CrystalMake...c_Radii_sm.jpg
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2009, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    Group 2 doesn't go from Lithium to Neon. It goes (Hydrogen), Lithium, Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium, Cesium, Francium.
    A group is down, but the OP is asking about period 2, periods go across the table.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Electron shell [ 1 Answers ]

What are electron subshells and how many electrons can fit in them? What does this have to do with bonding? Thanks, -Matazar

Can some one explain to me electron gas ? [ 2 Answers ]

Electron gas.. :confused:

Periodic trends and electron configuration? [ 2 Answers ]

Sodium forms a +1 ion while fluorine forms a -1 ion. Please explain why they do not form +2 and -2 ions, respectively. Use electron configurations and periodic trends to support your answer.

Electron filling [ 1 Answers ]

how do u do electron filling?

View more questions Search