Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poolmaster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2006, 02:53 AM
    Roofing Business Help
    I completed a diy project recovering my flat roof and found it very easy, I have sourced a supplier of covering that would allow me to make a good profit on any installed work I do. What I need to know is what sort of insurances etc I would need, public liability maybe, and how do I get insurance based guarantees for my installations, I know this business would work and have 100% confidence in my supplier and my workmanship and sales ability, just need the right type of advice on insurance and any other legal matters I would have to take care of, like employees and health and safety as they would be using ladders , solvents , etc, thanks in anticipation, Keith
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2006, 06:49 AM
    If you are hiring workers, you would want workers comp insurance, the actual product you are buying should have its own warranty and you make it clear in the contract with the customer that the product is covered by manufactors warranty. Normally your warranty liablity will be your labor to redo or fix anything you did not do right the first time or something you missed. ( of course you can have more liablity if they sued you instead of merely letting you fix something ) in that case the manufactor of the supplies may or maynot be included in their law suit, and you would have to go to them about the materials.

You would have course have to follow all OSHA guidelines about working on the roof ( or should , although about 3/4 of independent roofers don't)
    This would include having on site MSDS, proper safey equipment and training in their use.

Next remember that about 30 to 35 percent of your profit is taxed for income taxes and social security taxes. Plus if you have employees not independint subcontractors you have to pay 7.5 percedent matching social security taxes on all of their wages also.

So you wouild have to price your jobs according.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roofing question [ 6 Answers ]

Hello - not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but it's worth a try. We had a hail storm a few months back and, now that the snow is gone, a roofing contractor has finally been able to some inspect the roof. They say it has evidence of hail damage and gave me a quote. ...

Business law [ 4 Answers ]

Is it a crime to sell one's products below the production cost in USA?

Business to business vs Business to Consumer retail [ 1 Answers ]

How does Business to business retail differ from business to consumer retail?

View more questions Search