Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michsully Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2009, 06:16 AM
    Boat motor not run for years
    Hi, I asked the same question in boating but there are similarities for cars and trucks so I will ask in both

Hi I am looking to but a boat that has been idle for four years. It is a 1998 sea ray with a mercruiser 3.0 that was winterized in fall 2004. The owner covered the boat and let it sit until now. What kind of damage should I look for from sitting this long. I don't want to buy something that I will regret later

Thanks
    tallay83 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 06:23 PM
    If they oiled the cylinders it should be fine.

Before even cranking it, I would pull the plugs and pour in marvel mystery oil into the cylinders and rotate. Also, Find out how the fuel system was preserved. Was it drained?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 25, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michsully View Post
    hi, I asked the same question in boating but there are similarities for cars and trucks so I will ask in both

hi I am looking to but a boat that has been idle for four years. It is a 1998 sea ray with a mercruiser 3.0 that was winterized in fall 2004. The owner covered the boat and let it sit until now. What kind of damage should I look for from sitting this long. I don't want to buy something that I will regret later

thanks
    That seems like an awful long time for any engine to sit and still be good.
    Have you tried to rotate the engine manually? That would be my first step.
    If it rotates freely, you may still have some serious corrosion internally. Here is where a borescope would be priceless.
    Expect to find the fuel system in need of attention. Any fuel that sat that long has probably turned to varnish and solidified.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boat sitting for four years [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am looking to but a boat that has been idle for four years. It is a 1998 sea ray that was winterized in fall 2004. The owner covered the boat and let it sit until now. What kind of damage should I look for from sitting this long. I don't want to buy something that I will regret later Thanks

Fan motor bad after just under two years [ 7 Answers ]

I had the fan motor in my upstairs Rheem unit replaced in August of 06 and it has gone out again. Is this normal? I am waiting for warranty info from the AC company but shouldn't these things last longer than two years?

Boat motor [ 7 Answers ]

Old boat motor only runs if I spray starting fluid in it. Cleaned carb and new gas and plugs. Any ideas?

Boat Motor-Not Started in 2 Years [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 40HP Yamaha motor on a Pontoon Boat and have not started it for 2 years. It has been sitting outside in the weather. What should I do before I put fresh gas/oil in can and crank it up. It has been sitting in my driveway unused this long. Please give me any suggestions as what I should...

My boat and dock where destroyed by neighbors broken loose boat during hurricane [ 3 Answers ]

As I said above, during hurricane Wilma my neighbors boat broke loose from its mooring and floated down to my dock, two homes away, and proceeded to smash my boat and dock until the storm was over. My dock was destroyed and my boat was knocked off the lift and sank, Do I have any recourse, as my...

View more questions Search