Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davemacy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 07:37 AM
    Gas hot water heater- hot inlet
    Hi Guys!

I have a strange problem with my gas water heater. After having some issues with intermittent hot water shortage, I flushed the system. I also found the remains of a bird in the flue which I vacuumed out, yet the problem has continued.
    I noticed that the vertical inlet (cold) is extremely hot for about 2 feet over the heater. Any idea if this is normal thermal expansion or if this is a symptom of the issue that is affecting my occasional lack of hot water?
    (I have inspected all the faucets and there are no leaks, yet sometimes after coming home to a house that has been empty all day, there is very little hot water)
    The heater is a 40 gallon natural gas unit, installed in a basement, which is about 14 years old.
    Thanks for any input.
    Dave
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 12:11 PM
    I noticed that the vertical inlet (cold) is extremely hot for about 2 feet over the heater. Any idea if this is normal thermal expansion or if this is a symptom of the issue that is affecting my occasional lack of hot water?

Yes thermal exp.

The heater is a 40 gallon natural gas unit, installed in a basement, which is about 14 years old.

The valve that controls the gas is probably getting tired with age. I have seen this happen many times. Once the heater reaches temperature the valve just stays off until you draw some hot water and it kicks back in to operation from the cold water flowing into the unit. 14 years is about time for a new one.
    davemacy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2009, 09:46 AM
    Thanks for the info HVAC1000!

I guess I'll start saving for a new one.

Dave

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water inlet to ice maker leaking [ 9 Answers ]

I have a frigidaire (frt18il6ds4) that was causing me problems (frozen ice maker tube) so I started prodding around and found out that the tube coming from my water supply was leaking at the copper coupling (not sure if that is what it is called). So I went out and purchased a new one and replace...

Maytag Washer Water Inlet Valve [ 1 Answers ]

I suspect that the water inlet valve on my Maytag top loading washing machine should be replaced. The machine will not dispense hot water. Cold water only is dispensed when the warm or cold wash setting is selected. However, no water is dispensed when the hot wash setting is selected. Before...

Ice maker water inlet valve connection [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to replace my water inlet valve of my referigrator ice maker. I am confused with the electric connection. The +ve or -ve is not marked on the referigrator side or valve side. Please advice how to find this. Or Is it OK if I connect it anyway? Thanks Sam

Toilet water inlet leaks [ 4 Answers ]

The 18" brass tubing on the water inlet has a crack right at the angle stop. Big crack, big leak when the valve is open (no leak when the valve is closed). Can this tube be replaced without solder/welding? This home was built 14 years ago (fixture age). I've heard speedball say there should be...

View more questions Search