Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shemtov_tali Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Bank has no lien on my house by their mistake
    We bought our house 2 ½ years ago, we never missed any payments.
    I just found out that the house deed was released a while ago by the bank. So there is no lien on my property. They did this by mistake since I did not finish my loan, we bought the house only 2 ½ years ago and we took a loan for 30 years. There is the personal guaranty (note) which is still valid, and we are paying the loan every month.
    What does this mean? Is the house ours? What will happen if we stop paying the loan (mortgage) can the bank take the house if they do not have a lien?

:confused:
    hoightoider Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2009, 05:54 PM

I can think of two actions the bank might take:

1) The bank could ask the court to reinstate the mortgage because it was released inadvertently. The court might rule you cannot profit from the error of another.

2) The bank could file a judgement against you (sue you based on the note) and collect the proceeds if and when you sell the house.
    borispil Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Mar 19, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Geeee... sell it quick!

... then file for bankruptcy
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2009, 05:02 PM

The fact that they have a signed note will enable them to resinstate the lien.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The fact that they have a signed note will enable them to resinstate the lien.
    That, plus the fact that when they signed all of the closing documents, they signed several things that said they would completely cooperate with the lender to repair any mistakes that may have been made in connection with the loan paperwork. So a failure to work with the lender to file a new lien will allow the lender to declare the loan in default and the note will become immediately due and payable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue My bank for their mistake? [ 8 Answers ]

I opened a new checking account online , then I went to my local branch and signed the signature card and made a deposit. I was told my account was ready to go. I made a deposit to this account on October 31 to cover payment for a new Insurance policy I was taking out. We had insurance with...

Bank CD mistake .statue of limitations [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a statue of limitations on bank errors... 13 months ago the bank cashed my cd and then renewed it again... the renewed CD matured and I cashed it... I live in Texas... is there any place that I can find the laws on this... thanks

What happens if you cash a check that a bank sent you by mistake [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I received a check from a bank to my name for an amount of money that I don't recall is due to me. What would happen if I cash this check? Can I be charged with a crime, if the bank decides to recall the check? Are any other types of cahrges can be brought against me if I cash the...

Check returned by Bank mistake [ 3 Answers ]

I wrote a check of $1,296.00 to pay my rent, bank made a terrible mistake put $2,296.00 for this check and I did not have this amount I only had enough for this check and like $100.00 more so the returned my check charged me returned fees itens, now a have problem with the place where a live they...

Bank mistake car title [ 1 Answers ]

We traded in a vehicle with a lien on it. The dealership paid off the loan but the bank sent the loan paperwork marked "paid in full" and the title with bank signature to us. As of now, is the car ours? It has been over a month and we have not received the registration paperwork for the car we...

View more questions Search