Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsriram Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 01:51 PM
    Resident Alien on H1B Visa -- Marital Filing Status
    Dear helpdesk,

I appreciate the time taken by experts to answer the questions asked by the users of this website.

I have a question regarding the filing status. I am working in US on H1B Visa status for past couple of years.

I lived almost whole year of 2008 in US(except couple of vacations to India, being away from US total of 40 days ). I assume for tax purposes I am considered as a Resident Alien (please correct me if am wrong). I recently got married in the month of December 2008 but my spouse joined me in Jan 2009.

My W2 has marital status as Single. I am confused if I am supposed to file my taxes having Married Marital Status. As she came to US in Jan 2009, will this be a problem in future if I file taxes as Married and filing jointly for 2008 tax returns. I understand that as she don't have SSN, I have to enclose ITIN Application with the returns.

I appreciate if any body can advice on this question.

Best regards
    Sri.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 08:03 PM

Yes, you are considered a resident alien for 2008. Your W-2 status is unimportant for purposes of how you file. Marital status is determined as of the last day of the year. Thus, you are considered married for 2008.

Filing a joint return even though she was not present in the U.S. in 2008 is fine, but if she earned any income during 2008 then it must be included on the joint U.S. tax return. If she had little or no income, filing jointly is probably the best way to go.

Yes, you will need to include Form W-7 and the related documentation when filing for 2008.
    rsriram Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 08:18 PM

Hi IntlTax,

Thank you for your time and your answer. It has cleared my questions.

Just coming back to same question, I just want to make sure, my wife never came to US prior to Jan 2009. She didn't have any income back in India as well. Is it still OK to file taxes for 2008 as Married and filing jointly.

Thank you once again.

Sri.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 11:25 PM

You can still file joint return. You must both declared worldwide income for 2008. Read about H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 06:28 AM

As I stated above,

Filing a joint return even though she was not present in the U.S. in 2008 is fine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident Alien, F1, Taxable Marital Status [ 3 Answers ]

1- I am an F1 student from India. I came to the US in Aug 2003 and hence am a resident alien for tax purposes. 2- I got married in 2007 and my wife was on F2 visa all of 2008. 3- On the W-2 that I received from my university, it says my taxable marital Status is "SINGLE". They withheld...

Resident alein or non resident alien and filing status [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've couple of questions to you experts. I've worked in US on L1-B Visa for the entire year of 2006 and 2007 and stayed up to march 26th 2008. I was here again on 14th Dec 2008 on L1B again for work and likely to stay here until July 2009. Q1) Filing taxes for the year 2008, Am I a...

Filing status Resident or Non-Resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

I am a citizen of INDIA and came to USA on 13, August 2003. I am on H1-B visa currently and would like to know, whether I come under resident (on substantial presence for more than 3 years) or Non-Resident? What form should I fill to file my taxes?

Filing status for Non Resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in US on H1B visa from oct1, with my spouse & kid (both on H4). For 07 tax returns my residential status becomes Non Resident alien. What should be my tax filing status as my wife is a housewife? Should I claim both of them as dependents?

How to decide resident alien status for filing Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the United States since January 1, 2006 and I am still here in United States. I am in H1 Visa and my wife and son are on H4. We all arrived together. Can I consider myself as resident alien for filing tax return? Can I file return as a married filing jointly? My wife is not working.

View more questions Search