Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ramish Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 12:29 AM
    Share Folder Creation
    I have an HP server configured and I want to create some share drives & folders so that other users can put their files and stuff there.

Please tell me what is the correct follow up process to create and share drives & folders. I have Windows Server 2003 installed in the server and users are Windows Professional

Cheers,
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Mar 16, 2009, 07:38 AM

Question: Is your Windows 2003 server running Active Directory? Are your user accounts centralized?

There are two types of permissions.
    1) Share
    2) File/Folder

Typically, Share permissions are set to the highest level of access and then specific permissions are granted with File/Folder security. If you DENY permissions, this takes precedence over any ALLOW permissions for the user or group.

Always use Groups where possible. Assigning users to Groups and then Groups to permissions is much easier to administer in the future.

To create a share, right click on the folder and select Sharing and Security. Permissions are assigned to the share and also to the folder.

Share permissions controls who may connect to the share. File/Folder permissiosn controls who may access the files and folders within the share.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Price/share and earnings/share [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new accounting student and I am trying to find out the Price/Earning Ratio. Can you please tell me what numbers in the Balance Sheet, Income Sheet, Statement Cash Flow that I would add to come up with both the Price/Share and the Earnings/Share. I know how many outstanding shares there are...

Creation [ 10 Answers ]

... a different kind In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth and Populated the Earth with broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, green And yellow and red vegetables of all kinds, so Man and Woman would Live long and healthy lives. Then using God's great gifts, Satan created...

Automatic Folder Creation [ 3 Answers ]

Problem is a folder is created with the same name within that folder.Unable to delete the folder.Scanned with Trend Micro.Not detected any virus.I think it is a virus Activity.How to rectify this problem.

Install folder is missing from my Windows (XP) folder [ 3 Answers ]

How odd. Tried to install a program and got "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime". I found the fix options at microsoft.com but one of them refers to C:\Windows\Installer - and I realize I don't have it! How the heck it disappeared I have no clue :confused: Hope hope...

View more questions Search