Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldhopper Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 02:48 PM
    Sewer Smell in Basement
    I have a bar in my theater room. The bar has a dishwasher, ice machine and a refrigerator. Every few weeks I smell a sewer smell in that area. It may last a day or two and then go away. The drainage is tied into the bathroom in the basement. We never have that smell in the bathroom. Does anyone have a suggestion on what it may be and how I can correct it? Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 15, 2009, 03:35 PM
    You indicate the smell's the strongest near the bar, yes? Is there a floor drain near bye? No smell in the bathroom? City sewer or septic tank? Is the smell worse when it rains?": You must realize that smells and weird noises are the hardest to track down when you're on site and just about impossible when you're not. So help me out with all the details. All we can do is point out likely spots. Back to you, Tom

Mar 15, 2009, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    You indicate the smell's the strongest near the bar, yes? Is there a floor drain near bye? No smell in the bathroom? City sewer or septic tank? Is the smell worse when it rains?": You must realize that smells and weird noises are the hardest to track down when you're on site and just about impossible when you're not. So help me out with all the details. All we can do is point out likely spots. Back to you, Tom
    Yes it is strongest in the bar area. There is an open floor drain that the ice maker is on top of. There is not any smell in the bathroom. We are on city sewer. I thought the smell was worse when it rains but currently we are getting the smell and it has not rained for a few days. We also got the smell when it was frozen outside (we live in Chicago). Do you think maybe the plumber that installed everything did improper venting? A plumber that came out when there was not a smell does not think it was improper venting since the sink had no problem draining after he filled it to the top. He said if it continues then he would want to charge me a $1000 to run smoke from the vent. Not sure if that would do anything if it is not a vent problem. I am also thinking that maybe the drain that runs from the bar to the bathroom may have sitting water since maybe it is not angled right. Not sure, what do you think?
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 15, 2009, 06:19 PM
    Save your money and purchase your own smoke bomb. All this does if fill the vents with smoke and if there any breaks or leaks it will show up in the house. Sniff around when the smell's the strongest. This floor drain. Have you checked to see if there's water in the trap or does something drain into it? Let me know, Tom

Mar 15, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Save your money and purchase your own smoke bomb. All this does if fill the vents with smoke and if there any breaks or leaks it will show up in the house. Sniff around when the smell's the strongest. This floor drain. have you checked to see if there's water in the trap or does something drain into it? Let me know, Tom
    There is not any standing water in the drain
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 15, 2009, 06:59 PM
    I'm not asking about "standing water", I'm asking if there's any water in the trap. Tom

Mar 16, 2009, 01:55 AM

How can you tell if this is water in the trap?
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 16, 2009, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goldhopper View Post
    How can you tell if this is water in the trap?
    Remove the strainer and stick a rod down to the base of the trap. It should .come back with a few inches of water on it. Let me know what you find. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer smell in basement -- not all the time [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a house in July 2008 and it was built in 1974 - I have a septic tank. Occasionally the basement smells like sewer gas, but not all the time. I noticed that the basement smells like sewer gas at different times, sometimes for no reason, and smelled when the downstairs shower is used...

Sewer smell in basement bathroom [ 24 Answers ]

I'm moving in a couple of months, but the house I'm renting right now has a really strong sewer smell coming from the shower drain, sink drain, and the drain for the washing machine, all in the basement. It's worse when the washing machine is running, but you can smell it pretty much all the time....

Sewer Smell in Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I see I am not the only one, but I have a sewer smell in the basement. It is progressively getting worse and I think now the smell is seeping into my kitchen. It looks like the water level in the sewer holes has gone done. I have two opening (caps for each) in the corner of the basement....

Sewer smell basement [ 1 Answers ]

What is cause of a terrible rank sewer gas type smell in basement furnace is pushing throughout the house - either the drains or a dead animal in the furnace intake pipe?

Sewer Gas smell in the basement [ 2 Answers ]

There is a foul sewer-gas smell that is originating in our basement crawl-space. The smell is strongest in the laundry room where the entrance to the crawl-space is located, and has permeated the entire house. We experienced this problem last year but it only lasted a day or two and was confined...

View more questions Search