Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VaGardener804 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Can anyone please help?
    Hello, my name is Crystal. I am 38 and was diagnosed with colon cancer November, 2005. I was told it had spread to my uterus and lungs in March.

I had surgery for the colon cancer in December and had to have a total hysterectomy in March. I will need to have radiation iodine treatment for my thyroid in September. Due to this the doctors have put off chemo. I have been unable to work. My husband works form 3:30 a.m. till 6 p.m. and we are behind on some of our bills. We are almost caught up, we just need a little help.

I have been diagnosed with an anterior Mediastinal Mass/Thymoma. I have lung cancer I am undergoing further testing to determine what treatments would be best for me.

The only reason we are struggling right now is my health and the fact the doctors will not let me work.

We need help with our electric and mortgage payment and also need help with food and gas for doctors appointments. We appreciate any help. I can provide verification of this.

We have tried every resource form DSS to the Red Cross and we can not qualify for help due to income.
    moderator Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Aug 30, 2006, 07:11 AM
    Crystal, I'm sorry to hear these things. There are many many other sources to try besides just DSS and Red Cross:

Catholic Social Services
    Lutheran Social Services
    County Services
    Local Churches
    Salvation Army
    Volunteers of America

Your best sources are local ones.

Good luck to you, Crystal!

Aug 30, 2006, 07:17 AM
    Why can this post be left on here but my post for help keeps getting deleted and/or closed. I feel this site is prejudiced. I have a reason due to illness and my husband works. I was told to try the following:
    Catholic Social Services
    Lutheran Social Services
    County Services
    Local Churches
    Salvation Army
    Volunteers of America

I have and was denied due to husband.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 07:28 AM
    Crystal, your post mimics the posts of spammer/scammers who flat out ask for money. That is why your post was edited.

I have reopened it.

You did not say that you were denied from all of those agencies. You tried all of them?

If your income exceeds the level that they can help with, then you may be more in need of financial council more than temporary assistance.

These questions get posted in a variety of ways... and all we can do is suggest local sources of assistance - or financial counceling - or even legal advice.

I do hope you and your husband work through this - and I wish success for those in charge of your medical care.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2006, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by VaGardener804
    Why can this post be left on here but my post for help keeps getting deleted and/or closed. I feel this site is prejudiced.
    This site is not being prejudiced. This site is for people to ask questions and get answers. Its NOT to ask for money. I am sorry for the predicament you are in, but the only help we can give you is to suggest places where you can ask for financial assitance.

Aug 30, 2006, 07:40 AM
    We have done financial counseling. We have went on a budget but need help to get started. I can provide proof of my illness and our needs. IOf anyone could help I do not even want the money to go directly to me, I would rather it go directly to the bill we need help on. We are in need of $130 for the electric, $1339 or some of it for the mortgage. I am sorry if it seemed like a scam. I did not mean it to sound that way. I would not do this if we weren't desperate.

Aug 30, 2006, 08:07 AM
    Crystal,

We are not doubting your hardship or need. But we are not a charity. We offer advice, no more no less.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 10:57 AM
    Crystal, I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. Is your husband's income really that high that you don't qualify for any assistance whatsoever? What about your medical expenses? Are they covered by insurance or paid out-of-pocket? If it's the latter, have you made this known to the agencies to which you've applied for assistance? That would certainly be an extenuating circumstance despite what your income might look like on paper. If, despite exhausting all possible avenues, you don't qualify for assistance from any public agency then your only option is to turn to private sources. Are you a member of a church? How about close friends and family? Also consider various community organizations such as Freemasons, Knights of Columbus, Rotary, American Legion, VFW, etc. It's a plus if you, your husband, a family member or close friend is a member of any of these but even if you have no connections whatsoever it's still worth a try as they will often help anyone in need, whether there's any direct affiliation or not.

Aug 30, 2006, 11:59 AM
    We have tried everyone. Our church is so small and only has a few elderly members. Our insurance pays my medical bills. We have tried most of the organizations you listed and have been turned down, and we even have a few friends recommend us to ones they are members of. My father said he can help with half of the mortgage (he is retired and only gets a small retiremnt check from the Army) if I can come up with half, so I only need about $670.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by VaGardener804
    Our insurance pays my medical bills.
    So then where is all your money going?

It sounds like your husband is working 2 or 3 jobs because you can’t right now. So why do you not have enough money?

From the sounds of it, he has taken an additional job because your income isn’t coming in anymore.

Aug 30, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Crystal,
    Your pandering is starting to wear thin. If anyone was going to help you by donating money they would have done so by now (probably contacting you privately). You have been told several times that this is not a charity site. We exist SOLELY to give advice.

If you continue to post pleas for contributions, you will be violating the spirit of this site, if not its rules. At that point, the moderators would be justified in removing this thread and I, personally, will request that action.

I know this sounds harsh, but several answers have tried to give you the only type of help we can. If someone here was to be kind enough to help you we would be innundated with such requests so we must refuse any such request.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search