Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michelle111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Statue of limitations in nova scotia
    Can anyone tell me the statue of limitations of credit card debt in Nova Scotia and where I can call or find this proof.I was told there was no such thing but I know this is not true.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 12:07 PM
    You are correct, there is a SOL in Nova Scotia.

It is 6 years on credit card debt.

According to Nova Scotia's Limitation of Actions Act, section 2(e)

(e) all actions grounded upon any lending, or contract, expressed or implied, without specialty, or upon any award where the submission is not by specialty, or for money levied by execution, all actions for direct injuries to real or personal property, actions for the taking away or conversion of property, goods and chattels, actions for libel, malicious prosecution and arrest, seduction and criminal conversation and actions for all other causes which would formerly have been brought in the form of action called trespass on the case, except as herein excepted, within six years after the cause of any such action arose;

For “proof”, see Nova Scotia's website, where they put all of the laws online at: http://www.gov.ns.ca/legislature/legc/sol_m.htm

And the link to the Limitation of Actions Act is here: http://www.gov.ns.ca/legislature/leg...s/limitatn.htm
    michelle111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Thank you very much for this info.I have a debt from at least 6 years or more and am currently being contacted for payment it has dropped from my equfax report so it has to be at least 6 years.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2006, 08:25 AM
    6 years from when you incurred the debt or 6 years from when you last paid on the account? The code Captain gave you isn't clear on that. Its also possible the action was started within the 6 year period and a judgement obtained. Then taken the creditor time to find assets to attach.

Frankly, I'm bothered by this idea and that laws even allow it. If a person enters into an agreement they should honor that agreement. They should look to duck out on the debt and let the government cover for them. I suppose its reasonable to require the creditor to obtain a judgement within a reasonable time, but once the judgement is obtained, it shouldn't expire until the debt is paid.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Michelle,
    When was the last time you made a payment on this debt?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1 Visa Limitations (Law, Tax, Etc.) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a friend who is now in USA and granted for working visa. However, his visa is L1, that is, he is an employee exchange by the foreign-counterpart of US company. Currently, the US company cannot offer any projects and he has been staying at home for 2 months. He would like to work...

Statue of limitation [ 5 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitation on statutory rape? Also, the time of limitation has passed, what other way can you charge some one with statutory rape against a 14 year old, if they were 25 at the time?

Statuate of limitations [ 2 Answers ]

My husband here in phoenix is being held on a failure to appear charge in Indiana. He paid the fines and went through the program but the attorney did not appear for the pre trial conference. How do we keep the extradition from going through? Is there a statute of limitations on this?:confused:

Statue of Limitation [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statute of Limitation on a DUI charge in BC or Canada. I have a warrant out of my arrest in BC. I didn't even know about it until I was pulled over in Alberta. I was under the impression from the cop that I talked to on the phone that I had taken care of all of that mess. But then I...

View more questions Search