Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 13, 2009, 04:14 PM
    What is a Christian?
    I've seen a lot of threads started lately about Christianity, what makes a Christian, I'd like to discuss this.

As most of you know I'm a Deist, I was raised Lutheran, attended a Catholic school for 10 years and then decided that organized religion was not for me. I do not completely fit the definition of a Deist, but it's the closest definition of my beliefs.

Here's what I found out about Christianity on Wikipedia.

Active Christians: Committed to attending church, Bible reading, and sharing their faith that salvation comes through Jesus Christ.

Professing Christians: Also committed to "accepting Christ as Savior and Lord" as the key to being a Christian, but focus on personal relationships with God and Jesus more than on church, Bible reading or sharing faith.

Liturgical Christians: High level of spiritual activity, mainly expressed by attending and recognising the authority of the church, and by serving in it or in the community.

Private Christians: Believe in God and in doing good things, but not within a church context. In the American survey, this was the largest and youngest segment.

Cultural Christians: Do not view Jesus as essential to salvation. They are the least likely to align their beliefs or practices with biblical teachings, or attend church. They favor a universal theology that sees many ways to God.

An alternate view is that a Christian is simply someone who is a member of the Christian Church. For Catholics, especially, the Church is a Teacher and Mother (see Mater et Magistra, by John XXIII), something that Protestants do not typically identify with. From this perspective, every person who faithfully receives his teaching from the Christian Church is called a Christian.

So, what are you? How do you define Christianity? I'm a Deist, can I also be a Christian? According to Wiki I'm a Professing Christian.

What are your thoughts?
    dogman32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Mar 13, 2009, 04:27 PM
    You know , I have asked myself that very same question for years. I do not believe in organized religion. I have asked for years why I had to go to a church to worship god or jesus christ. I can pray and read the bible and ask god for forgiveness from the privacy of my own home. I was raised by a family of devout catholics. When I was old enough to make a decision on what I wanted to do with my life I tried several different kinds of churches. Baptist,protestant,lutheran,apostolic,non-denominational churches of christ. You name it I tried it. I know what I believe in my heart after researching and reading and coming to my own conclusions as an adult. There is a god and higher power, we will have to all answer to him one day. But I do not have to go into a house of worship or ask for his forgiveness. He alresdy knows I am asking forgiveness. If he created me then he knows all that I am thinking and feeling in my heart and soul
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 04:57 PM

I can only speak from a personal standpoint.I am clearly not a religious scholar.
    I was raised Catholic (strict) but do not currently attend church.I believe Jesus Christ is my savior.
    I try to adhere to the principals of Christianity by treating my brother as myself.
    Labels try to pigeon hole people.I am a little this and a little that.
    I think I agree with Ziggy Marley on the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heUVrcYWqOc
    I know you are a warm compassionate person and I think that's all that really matters.
    Sorry if I did not answer your question but its all I got. :)
    Pets Expert

Mar 13, 2009, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dogman32 View Post
    you know , i have asked myself that very same question for years. i do not believe in organized religion. i have asked for years why i had to go to a church to worship god or jesus christ. i can pray and read the bible and ask god for forgiveness from the privacy of my own home. i was raised by a family of devout catholics. when i was old enough to make a decision on what i wanted to do with my life i tried several different kinds of churches. baptist,protestant,lutheran,apostolic,non-denominational churches of christ. you name it i tried it. i know what i believe in my heart after researching and reading and coming to my own conclusions as an adult. there is a god and higher power, we will have to all answer to him one day. but i do not have to go into a house of worship or ask for his forgiveness. he alresdy knows i am asking forgiveness. if he created me then he knows all that i am thinking and feeling in my heart and soul
    That's exactly how I feel, 100%.

I've done the whole church thing, organized religion, bible study, and never got the answers I was looking for, but somehow I still formed a relationship with God. I don't feel the need to go to a marble floored, oak benched institution to hear one mans interpretation of a man written book (The Bible) in order to have a relationship with God. He knows my heart, I don't have to go to a specific building for him to hear me.

I went the whole nine yards as a Lutheran. I was baptised as a baby, did 2 years of bible study and was confirmed in the Lutheran religion at the age of 14. I attended Catholic school for 10 years and never got the answers to my many questions. Because I dared to ask the questions, I was shunned, ostrasized, made to feel like less then a human being. The longer I was there, the more questions I had, the more I distanced myself from Church and the bible. I'm happy with my faith.

My concern is the inability for others to accept eachothers beliefs. Even though I don't wish to be Catholic, I have no problem with those that choose that belief, or any other for that matter, but they will not acknowledge my beliefs, even though they aren't very different from theirs.

Does being a Christian mean looking down on those that aren't? If so, how can you be sure that you are indeed a Chrsitian? According to Wikipedia, I am, but ask 100 people and the majority will say that I'm not. Heck, even I say "I used to be a Christian" because I believed that being a Christian meant going to church and studying the bible. If that's true, then is that all it takes to be a Christian, or is there more?
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 09:15 PM

Does being a Christian mean looking down on those that are
    n't? I
    Not in my book.I see that as hypocrisy ,which I abhor and that is not Christian or God like or good in any way.
    Tolerance and love and acceptance is what my Lord tells me.
    That is why I avoid the religion board,no tolerance.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2009, 09:24 PM

Hi, Altenweg!

I'm an active Christian who has been involved in many types of Christian denominations. Have been doing the music in various churches for over 36 years, so I have had a variety of influences - spiritually, intellectually, morally, liturgically, etc.

I was even employed by a Unitarian Universalist church for eight years as the custodian. Became very involved with the particular church and was influenced by their teachings and beliefs. Made a lot of friends there.

Thanks!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 09:41 PM

According to the definitions, I'm a cultural Christian. Eew, okay. The word Christian makes me think of the religion board, little tolerance, plenty of dogma. In fact, they discourage many of us from joining their discussions, because we disagree with them.

If I believe that there are as many ways to God as there are people, what "Christian" could accept that?
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 09:51 PM

According to the Bible, it is a person who has received Jesus (The true Jesus found in the Bible) as their Lord and Saviour and thus has the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 10:22 PM

In fact, they discourage many of us from joining their discussions, because we disagree with them.
    That is so true because it seems to be so intolerant of so many many people and the Lord I love would never do that.
    Its like the right to lifer who blows up an abortion clinic because he is pro life,killing people who disagree. Fanaticism is a plight,it stops love and acceptance and is never within any goal to help mankind.
    It is a total degradation of the word.The word is love.
    Pets Expert

Mar 14, 2009, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie View Post
    According to the definitions, I'm a cultural Christian. Eew, okay. The word Christian makes me think of the religion board, little tolerance, plenty of dogma. In fact, they discourage many of us from joining their discussions, because we disagree with them.

If I believe that there are as many ways to God as there are people, what "Christian" could accept that?
    I agree Simone. I accept your way, and according to Wiki we're both Christians, just different types. :)

Since most of us are discouraged from joining the conversation in the religious boards, I think this is the perfect place for us to be allowed to discuss our beliefs, our experiences, our relationship with God or lack thereof.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I agree Simone. I accept your way, and according to Wiki we're both Christians, just different types. :)

Since most of us are discouraged from joining the conversation in the religious boards, I think this is the perfect place for us to be allowed to discuss our beliefs, our experiences, our relationship with God or lack thereof.
    You guys are always welcome on any thread that I start! And artlady too. I always enjoy reading your posts.

As for the OP: I think I'm going to take a rather different tack. Alty, one of the things I very much like about your original question is that you bring out the fact that there isn't necessarily one simple answer to the question. And I think it's a good thing that there isn't, because--and this is something that may bug some people (sorry)--I think like many things in life that are meaningful and worthwhile, it is complicated.

Marriage and relationships, friendship, being a parent and a child, family, work... These are all very important parts of our lives that are notoriously messy and complicated in all sorts of ways. One of the reasons for the messiness and complication is, as I see it, the fact that each of these calls on much of what we are as persons; they aren't one-dimensional realities in our lives. And they are important, even though they often breed confusion and pain as well as joy and fulfillment. I think it is much the same, on all counts, with religion.

I think there is a tendency for many, perhaps even all, of us to crave in religion a simplicity that is often absent from these other areas of our lives. Of course, this makes all the sense the world. In fact, it's hard for me to imagine anyone never having craved greater simplicity in his or her marriage, familiy relationships, and work life. But that's just not how these things work. They are as meaningful as they are because so much of who we are is implicated in them. Were that not the case, they wouldn't mean as much to us. And I think this is how it is with religion as well.

When we are married to another person, we aren't just married with our minds: We are married with our bodies as, we participate in shared rituals and practices of all sorts, we have to work hard to get better at it. And there are all sorts of rules, of course. A marriage without rules is a marriage that is destined for divorce and, more likely than not, a fair amount of acrimony. I think religion is the same: We don't exist as disembodied minds, and so our religiosity (if I can call it that) isn't something that we do just in our heads: We live it and act it out both by striving to be good people (hopefully!) and by participating in shared rituals that connect us to other people alongside us, to those who have come before us and who will come after, and ultimately even to ourselves. There are rules because rules give structure and meaning to all aspects of our life. If you doubt that, just try communicating sometime without using any rules (linguistic or otherwise). Rules aren't just cages; they are necessary for liberation to be so much as possible. (Of course, this doesn't mean that ALL rules are good things. I don't mean to suggest that.) I guess what I'm trying to get at is the idea that religion is a complex reality and, like all complex realities, it opens the door to depth and meaning and beauty and transformation. But it also makes demands on us, it requires something of us. And it should. Whatever our religion, it should be important enough that we are prepared to work hard at it.

Now the last thing I want to do is to make anyone feel that I am trying to talk them into or out of anything. Truly, that is last thing I want to do. And this is just one of the reasons I am speaking in very general terms about this. I just wanted to try to offer perhaps a somewhat different perspective on the question. Whether you find yourself in agreement or disagreement with me I do hope that this at least makes sense--that I've expressed myself in a way that's intelligible.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 14, 2009, 04:03 PM

I am not going to put myself into any one category above, and I will not conform to one persons' view on how I should worship, pray, or view God and The Lord Jesus.

I do agree with all but one of the answers thus far, and I'm sure I will be disagreed by this person no matter what it is I have to say.

I find it quite amazing when going to the Christianity boards, and see all of the bashing of a fellow human being, coming from the liturgical or right winged Christians. The venom that is spewed at others is a sin within itself. Does God hear you speak with that mouth? That would be something to ponder, wouldn't it?

I'm also appalled to see that some members who call themselves Christians, quote verses and chapters in the Bible, to take down someone else's beliefs, and yet a few pages later break those same verses, because they can interperate them differently depending on the discussion at hand. I find this to be very hypocritical and careless.

I believe in an all loving and forgiving God. Not a hateful God. The fire and brimstone speech falls on deaf ears with me. I don't believe in the conformity of the church, and the "people" who run it! We've all seen how man uses his "power" to control and brainwash people with threats of punishment from God.

To me, God is Love, and Love is God. I will not seek out organized religion to get this. "People" will not tell me what my God means to me.

If that is not okay with you? Well frankly, I don't care. Just don't shove your beliefs down my throat, because I will spit them out!
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 10:39 AM

To me this whole thread sounds like peoples excused for not embracing organized religion. Does not matter what brand it is. The reason people attend church with others of a like mind is to praise God, hear the word of God and to encourage others in the faith. Those that choose to not go to church are missing an important part of the Christian faith, fellowship with other like minded people, and are generally doomed to failure.
    I am not meaning this to be condemning or mean spirited. I intend my comments to answer the OP's question.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 11:00 AM

Yes, too many want to have their own opinion of worship, we see a major part of the NT having Paul instructing the church on corrections of behavior. And the early church risk death to gather together.

Today's soceity and its freedoms cause too many to want do things there way instead of gathering within a group
    Pets Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    To me this whole thread sounds like peoples excused for not embracing organized religion. Does not matter what brand it is. The reason people attend church with others of a like mind is to praise God, hear the word of God and to encourage others in the faith. Those that choose to not go to church are missing an important part of the Christian faith, fellowship with other like minded people, and are generally doomed to failure.
    I am not meaning this to be condemning or mean spirited. I intend my comments to answer the OP's question.
    I understand what you are saying, but I have to disagree.

Going to church to gather with people that have the same faith as me is not something I need in order to continue my faith. I don't need someone there to make sure that I don't stray from the pack.

I used to go to church, when I was younger we had a great pastor, I still talk to him to this day, he was forced to leave our church because he wouldn't do things the way the higher ups wanted him to do them. You see, he believed in a community of people gathering together, talking not only about the bible and it's role in faith but also about other important subjects that we tend to overlook. He now preaches at a church downtown, a 1 hour drive from my house, both my parents funerals where at that church.

If he hadn't left that church I'd probably still be going, but his replacement was a very poor substitute, a man that preaches hell, fire and brimstone, the punishment of God if you don't conform. That's not the God I believe in. I was married in that church, my son was bapitzed in that church and that was the last time I stepped foot in it.

My old pastor never chastised me when I questioned things, he was always willing to sit, listen, talk about my questions. He was still the pastor when I went to confirmation school. In the Lutheran religion you are required to take 2 years of religious study before being confirmed. So, every Wednesday for 2 years I went to the church for these studies. Pastor Wilhelm made it fun, made it interesting. It wasn't just a bunch of pre-teens sitting around reading the bible, learning the bible, it was more than just religion that he taught. One particular "class" that I will never forget, our Pastor brought in an ex convict, he'd spent 12 years in and out of prison for breaking and entering. He came to talk to us about the path he'd taken in life, the hardships of being in prison, the new path he'd decided to take. He also admitted that he would never be a church going person, it just wasn't for him, but he had discovered a relationship with God while in prison, and it changed who and what he was forever.

I'm not saying that organized religion is bad, but it's not for everyone. I don't understand the extreme need that church going people have to bring you into the flock. I believe in God, I pray to God, God is a part of my life, why isn't that enough for some people? Is having me in a pew at your church really that important? What do you get if convince me to join, a toaster? A guaranteed seat in heaven? What?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 02:17 PM

If those in the group, attending church and thereby strengthening their avoidance of worldly temptation are happy doing that, great.

That does not mean that those who do not are lost or failures. Wanting to be a success is human nature. Following a system that teaches that those who do not follow it are failures negates the whole principle of freedom of religion. It teaches fear of failure. Structured Christianity, even if it is "The" truth for many, refuses to accept other truths.

So, if someone does not believe that some are born gay, that it is simply a worldly temptation to be avoided, they are right and all other opinions are not True. Bible scripture can be quoted to support this... That is not love and acceptance, a quotation is only words. Love, even faith can not always be put into words, sometimes it just is, like a connection with Deity.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 02:58 PM
    I don't need someone there to make sure that I don't stray from the pack.
    My experience has always been that members encourage each other, do fund raising together (especially if a parochial school is attached), and worship together (nothing more uplifting than joyously singing a favorite hymn accompanied by a pipe organ and along with 200+ other like-minded people). And yes, there are people there I don't like much or get along with, but the same situation is at work and at family get-togethers and even inside my own house. It's what I make of it then that counts, and what part I have in keeping my cool or even mending a relationship.

I used to go to church, when I was younger we had a great pastor... his replacement was a very poor substitute, a man that preaches hell, fire and brimstone, the punishment of God if you don't conform. That's not the God I believe in.
    The same thing happened to me. The church I was married in and that my kids were baptized in lost my all-time favorite pastor to retirement and called a new pastor who thought about everything 180 degrees differently. Since the denomination as a whole was going through changes that I felt denigrated women and gays, I left with great sadness. I had been on the committee to allow women to vote at church meetings and had seen women gradually take on roles and duties formerly held only by men, so the new thinking that women are to be subservient to men was quite upsetting and maddening.

I'm not saying that organized religion is bad, but it's not for everyone.
    Yet it did work for you for a long time with a minister that you liked.

I don't understand the extreme need that church going people have to bring you into the flock. I believe in God, I pray to God, God is a part of my life, why isn't that enough for some people? Is having me in a pew at your church really that important? What do you get if convince me to join, a toaster? A guaranteed seat in heaven? What?
    Now you're being kind of silly. A church is there for education and support on how to be a more loving and giving person. I taught Sunday School and adult Bible classes for years. All the preparation did more for me than my teaching did for my students. When I thought I knew it all, gosh darn, I learned something new, either from my studies or from my students. And as a church member, I pulled together with the other members, staffing the church nursery, baking cookies for fund-raisers, being a den mother for the Scouts, worshipping and praying together as a church community who were there for each other through thick and thin. And yes, there were speed bumps and upsets. It wasn't perfect. Like in any relationship, it was what we did about the problems and how we managed to get along, with God's help, that made all the difference.

Like any organization, a church takes its cues from its leader(s). There are pushy churches and laid-back ones, churches that expect you to wear your best and ones that don't care if you show up in jeans and a t-shirt, churches whose members ignore visitors and church members who rush over to the visitor to give welcoming hugs.

No, one doesn't need to belong to an organized church in order to worship God, but there definitely are benefits.
    Pets Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 03:27 PM

Tj3 disagrees: All have sinned (ROm 3:23. No one is calling anyone failures. We all need salvation through Christ.
    Tom, you certainly have a right to your opinion, as do others. Please read the site rules, disagrees are only for factually incorrect information, not for opinions. You've been here long enough that you should know this by now.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Tom, you certainly have a right to your opinion, as do others. Please read the site rules, disagrees are only for factually incorrect information, not for opinions. You've been here long enough that you should know this by now.
    Alty, if you had read what I said, you would have seen that is exactly why it was given. Odd that you ignore others who do give reddies for opinion only. I hope that you will take that opportunity now to read what I wrote.
    Pets Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 03:36 PM

Tom, stop it! You cannot give a reddie for someone else's opinion, no matter what you believe. Neither Simone or myself stated anything that was factually incorrect, we stated our opinions. You can disagree, but not with a reddie. Those are the rules, everyone must abide by them, even you.

Enough! Back to the topic please.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What Does It Take To Be A Christian? [ 60 Answers ]

What Does It Take To Be A Christian? So many churches say different things, And I want to know what your opinion is.

Not PC to be Christian? [ 17 Answers ]

I've noticed among a lot of my friends that it just doesn't seem to be Politically Correct to be Christian. I've got a pretty ethnically diverse friend group even. I know some Hindu believers, a Buddhist, Scientologist family, and several aethiests. It just seems like their more willing to...

What Is Being a Christian? [ 3 Answers ]

I can't seem to understand the different denominations of Christianity. I would like to able to catagorize what I believe in. I believe in God, But I don't think that religion has to be learned in a church. Also I Don't believe God has expectations in what we must do in our lifes and that we can...

Christian [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am Mich3. I was looking for a Christian page. Is there one here?

View more questions Search