Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsmsfs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 02:02 PM
    Knocking pipes when newer hydronic heating system on
    We have a 4 year old townhouse that has a hydronic/radiant floor heating system. A tankless water heater is the heating source for both the hydronic system and our regular household hot water. Whenever any of the thermostats are turned on in the house (which turns on the hydronic heating system) the hot water pipes in the garage (the ones pretty close to the tankless water heater) starting knocking very loudly, and they continue to knock while the heater is on. However, they stop knocking right away if either 1) the heating system is turned off or 2) any hot water faucet in the house is turned ON. Turning on the hot water alone does not cause the knocking, the pipes only knock when the hydronic heating system is turned on. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Mikie D Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 04:41 PM

Whose idea was it to use a tankless hwh for heat there is not enough volumn of water to start circulating water they heat up so fast it hits the cold water in the pipes there is no time to mix you might need a storage tank with a ciculator so there is a supply of mixed water so its not such a shock. Good luck Mikie D.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 14, 2009, 05:16 PM
    The system that you have with the tankless heater is a very good system and has a very high efficiency rate. I have used a tankless heater/boiler in my own home since 1981 but my system uses hot water fan coils instead of radiant floor heat. Sounds to me like you have a air entrapment problem or the expansion tank bladder has reptured internally. What is the exact brand and model of the water heater? Can you post a picture of the heater and control valves?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating - Pipes knocking Noise [ 2 Answers ]

I'm renting this old house and each time I put the Heat on (Gas Furnace). It starts the knocking/banging noise from the vents. Like TAK TAK TAK. When I shut the heater off It goes away. Some times it bangs for few minutes and then it restart. Cannot sleep. Please advise how to get rid of it....

Bleeding Hydronic Baseboard heating system [ 2 Answers ]

I have just moved into an old house in New Jersey and the house has two separate heating zones: one thermostat upstairs and one thermostat downstairs. The upstairs thermostat is currently inoperative, so a PSE&G technician circumvented the problem, and now both upstairs and downstairs are being...

Bleeding pipes heating system [ 2 Answers ]

I have gas heat baseboard hot water heating and some baseboard units don't get very hot while others do. I heard that I may need to bleed my pipes. How do I do this?

Noisy Pipes & Hot Water System Heating Rads! [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 problems with my CH system. Firstly when the hot water is turned on there is an awful lot of noise from the pipes. This sounds like a river rushing through the house. I can also hear the pump through the pipes. When I turn the pump down the noise is reduced but is still too noisy. This...

Hydronic heating system [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a licensed electrician that's been asked to hook up a 4 zone hydronic heating system which I have never worked with before. It's a mighty therm boiler model HH-PH, using RIB2041D relays 24 volt thermostat and a side wall vent. I've got all the 120 volt hook-up done and the relays hooked in...

View more questions Search